Copyright 2000-2015 by Dorothy Sloan-Rare Books Inc. for all materials on this site. All rights reserved, including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form.
251. [ATLAS]. GARCÍA CUBAS, Antonio.
Atlas geográfico e histórico de la
República Mexicana. [Mexico: J. M. Lara, 1858].
 24 pp., 32 double-page lithographic plates and maps,
all but one with original outline coloring: 2 plates
relating to Mesoamerican pictorial manuscripts; 30 maps of
Mexican states and territories, each map measuring
approximately 36.4 x 28 cm (14-1/4 x 11 inches), maps
within letterpress text (67 x 48.2 cm; 26-1/2 x 19 inches),
also including double-page general map of Mexico with
lithographed scenes at top: Carta general de la
República Mexicana (49 x 62 cm; 19-1/4 x 24-1/2
inches; scale not stated; comparative profile chart of
rivers and mountains at lower left). Large folio, original
crimson calf over marbled boards, spine gilt lettered and
decorated. Lacking title and perhaps one map (the contents
leaf lists Plate 26 as Sierra Gordo, but the plate seems to
have been combined with Plate 30, Isla del Cármen).
Our copy has 31 maps and plates like the Library of
Congress copy. Occasional mild foxing, generally fine to
very fine. Rare.
The first edition of the first great scientific atlas of all of Mexico. Antonio García Cubas is regarded as "el fundador de nuestra geografía como ciencia" (Dicc. Porrúa). Glass, p. 680 (citing the plates and commentary for Mapa Sigüenza and Códice Boturini, both of which are important for Mesoamerican geography). Palau 98721. Phillips, Atlases 2683. Sabin 26554 (stating that only 300 copies were printed). This early lithographed atlas of Mexico includes the work of Mexican pioneer lithographers Iriarte, Decaen, and Salazar. The illustrations are signed "Muñ ozguren" and come from the lithographic shop of Iriarte & Cia., while the letterpress typography is by Lara. The atlas was created during the Golden Age of Mexican lithography (see Mathes, Mexico on Stone, pp. 17-32). The design and execution of the atlas are handsome, with the middle of each double-page spread being occupied by the map of a specific state or territory, surrounded by statistical and historical information about the region, including subjects of borderlands interest, such as Native American tribes and incursions. The large and fine general map of Mexico by Salazar is one of the finest maps of Mexico created in the nineteenth century, with a spirited Mexican eagle atop cactus at top center, and especially beautiful lithographed views on either side (Popocatepetl, Orizava, Cascada de Regla, Palenque, Mitla, Uxmal, etc.).
The maps of the states that border with the United States are especially interesting for clearly delineating the changing boundaries over time. For instance, the map of Sonora shows the demarcation of the Treaty of Mesilla in 1853 (Gadsden Purchase). The map of Chihuahua shows the boundary line before and after the Gadsden Purchase. The Tamaulipas map shows the new boundary at the Rio Grande, as well as the older line of demarcation at the Nueces. The plates from Mapa Sigüenza and Códice Boturini are accompanied by the notes of José Fernando Ramírez of the Museo Nacional.
252. [MAP]. PETERMANN, A. Karte der
Quellgebiete der Flüsse Witchita, Brazos, Colorado
&c Im Innern Von Nord-Amerika. [and] Karte des
Nordwestlichsten Theils Nord-Amerika. Gotha: J.
Perthes, 1859. 2 engraved maps on a single sheet, original
outline coloring. 24.7 x 19.3 cm (9-3/4 x 7-5/8 inches)
overall. Scales: 1 inch = approximately 6 miles and 1 inch
= approximately 28 miles. Fine.
Plate 2 from Petermann's Geographische Mittheilungen.
253. [MAP]. WYLD, James. Civilized America.
London: James Wyld, [ca. 1859]. Lithographed map, original
color shading. 38.8 x 55.5 cm (15-1/4 x 21-7/8 inches).
Scale: 1 inch = approximately 150 miles. Legend at right:
"Graduated Shades Showing the Progress of Civilization."
Irregular margin at right where removed from atlas,
"The Progress of Civilization" refers to the dates that the various states entered the Union, from the original thirteen colonies through Minnesota, which became a state in 1858.
254. [MAP]. COLTON, J. H. Texas. New York,
1860. Engraved map with floral ornamental border, original
full and outline color. 32.6 x 27.1 cm (12-7/8 x 10-5/8
inches). Scale: 1 inch = 57.63 miles. Blank margin on left
side narrower where removed from atlas. Light browning,
Boundary of Texas is outlined in bright red with the counties colored in pastels. Battlegrounds of the Alamo, San Jacinto, Palo Alto, and Resaca de la Palma are located.
255. [MAP]. DUFOUR, A. H. Mexique Antilles et
Californie. Paris: Paulin & Le Chevalier, 1860.
Engraved map, original full and outline color. 55 x 75.6 cm
(21-5/8 x 29-3/4 inches). Scale not stated. Inset maps at
right: La Guadeloupe and La Martinique. Very
A finely detailed map on Mercator's projection. Emphasis is, of course, French, and the map shows the French and German colonies in Texas. Castroville appears as the major town in the "Col. Française," which extends west to the Frio River. The "Col. Allemande" shows the Adelsverein's area between the Colorado and Llano Rivers with Fredericksburg as its primary town. An expansive West Texas presents a very wide Panhandle and Trans-Pecos region, and the eastern border of California is defined by the Sierra Nevada range rather than by straight boundary lines. The two inserts are of the French Caribbean island possessions, the remnants of France's once extensive New World empire. Phillips, Atlases 833. From Dufour's Atlas Universel.
256. [MANUSCRIPT SURVEY]. AUSTIN COUNTY (M. M.
COATS LEAGUE). HAYFORD, H. (Surveyor). Original autograph
document signed by H. Hayford as Department Surveyor for
Austin County, dated at Austin County, May, 1860, with
survey, plat, and field notes for one league of land in the
lower half of the M. M. Coats League lying in Austin
County, on the east side of the Brazos River, for the case
of Samuel A. Cummings vs. James W. McDade, et al. 3 pp.,
folio, with inserted half sheet with map: Untitled ink and
pencil manuscript overview map of the lower half of the H.
H. Coats League (18.4 x 6.4 cm; 3-1/3 x 2-1/2 inches; no
scale stated). Chain bearers: H. Hayford, Wm. Mayo, and Wm.
Sherwood. Very handsome, precise compass rose at upper
right. Very fine.
The League was originally granted to Merit M. Coats (?-1827), one of Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists.
257. [GLOBE]. LORING, Josiah. [Terrestrial globe
labeled]: Loring's Terrestrial Globe Containing All the
Late Discoveries and Geographical Improvements, also the
Tracks of the Most Celebrated Circumnavigators. Compiled
from Smith's New English Globe, with Additions and
Improvements by Annin & Smith. Revised by G. W. Boynton
Manufactured by Gilman Joslin. Boston, 1860. Globe
sphere measures 12 inches diameter; 17-1/2 inches overall
height. Globe covered with engraved and colored paper
gores, mounted on original four-legged wooden stand, brass
meridian, horizon ring. Absolutely beautiful condition,
with rich, amber patina. One of the best preserved globes
of the era that we have seen.
Texas is shown as a state on this superb globe. The high quality of Josiah Loring's Boston globes won him many awards and high praise. During the eighteenth century, most globes in America were imported from England, and Loring was among the earliest pioneers in the commercial manufacture of globes in the U.S.
258. [MAP]. MITCHELL, S. Augustus. County Map
of Texas. [Philadelphia], 1860. Engraved map, original
full and outline coloring. 27.3 x 34.3 cm (10-3/4 x 13-1/2
inches). Scale: 1 inch = approximately 70 miles. Inset map
at lower left: Galveston Bay and Vicinity. Wide
floral ornamental border. Minor chipping at blank
Texas Panhandle is not depicted. Phillips, Atlases 846. Plate no. 34, with 35 appearing on the inset, extracted from Mitchell's New General Atlas (1865).
259. [POCKET MAP]. COLTON, J. H. Colton's New
Map of the State of Texas Compiled from J. De Cordova's
Large Map. New York: J. H. Colton, 1861. Pocket
map. Lithographed map on onionskin paper, original full
color with rose outline. 37.8 x 57.7 cm (14-7/8 x 22-3/4
inches) with ornamental border, folded into original 16mo
embossed, gilt-lettered brown cloth covers. Scale: 1 inch =
approximately 40 miles. Inset maps at lower left: Plan
of the Northern Part of Texas, Plan of Galveston, and
Plan of Sabine Lake. Covers very slightly worn,
upper cover faded. Map with minor splits along creases,
else fine, with bright coloring.
This is the De Cordova map as issued by Colton after he purchased the copyright (see Martin & Martin 39). Shows counties, towns, roads, railroads, rivers, mountains, German settlements, etc. Day, p. 69.
260. [MAP]. COLTON, J. H. Colton's United
States Shewing the Military Stations Forts &c. Prepared
by J. H. Colton...for the "Rebellion Record." New York:
G. P. Putnam, 1862. Lithographed map on onionskin paper
with full original color. 36.6 x 42.8 cm (14 x 16-7/8
inches). Scale not stated. Fine, with excellent color.
Under glass, matted, modern black wooden frame.
This Civil War map locates active military forts and camps, railroads, mail routes, etc. The Atlantic and Caribbean are decorated with vignettes of four sailing ships, one of them with supplemental steam power. Except for the Trans-Pecos West, all of Texas is shown.
GRAHAM'S RESURVEY OF THE MASON-DIXON LINE
261. [GOVERNMENT DOCUMENT]. GRAHAM, J. D.
Messages from the Governors of Maryland and
Pennsylvania, Transmitting the Reports of the Joint
Commissioners, and of Lieut. Col. Graham, U. S.
Topographical Engineers, in Relation to the...Mason and
Dixon's Line, with a Map. Chicago: F. Fulton & Co.,
1862. 95 [1, blank] pp., lithographed map: The Boundary
Lines between the Provinces of Maryland & Pennsylvania
Including the Three Lower Counties of Newcastle, Kent &
Sussex Forming Now the State of Delaware...to Accompany
Lt. Col. J. D. Graham's Report of
Feby. 27th. 1850...2D.
Edition 1862 (27.2 x 20.2 cm; 10-5/8 x 7-7/8 inches;
scale: 1 inch = 10 miles; below scale: LITH. OF ED.
MENDEL CHICAGO). 8vo, original maize printed wrappers.
Small chip at foot of spine, else very fine. Very
Second edition (the first edition was published in 1850). Chicago Ante-Fire Imprints 641. Sabin 45089. This pamphlet contains the results of a joint survey commissioned in 1845 by Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Delaware to determine the exact course of the Mason-Dixon Line through portions of those three states. J. D. Graham, the topographical engineer who directed this resurvey, was one of the foremost men in his field. He served as first assistant to Maj. Stephen H. Long on his expedition to the Rocky Mountains in 1819. In addition to the Mason-Dixon line, he participated in surveys of the Canadian border and the Texas-Mexican border (see Item 215 herein).
The Mason-Dixon line, the boundary between the present states of Pennsylvania (north), and Delaware, Maryland, and West Virginia (south), was surveyed in 1763-1767 by English astronomers Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon, to settle a boundary dispute of long standing between the colonies of Pennsylvania and Maryland. Before the Civil War the term was used popularly to designate the boundary dividing the slave and free states, and it still is used metaphorically to distinguish the North from the South. Donated to the Texas State Historical Association by Shirley and Clifton Caldwell.
262. [POCKET MAP]. COLTON, J. H. Railroad and
County Map of the Southern United States Containing the
Latest Information. New York: J. H. Colton, 1864.
Pocket map, folded into original 16mo embossed,
gilt-lettered purple cloth covers. Lithographed map on
onion-skin paper, original full color and bright rose
outlining. 62 x 76.7 cm (24-3/8 x 30-1/4 inches). Scale: 1
inch = 48 miles. 8 inset maps: (1) Galveston and
Vicinity; (2) Texas, Vicinity of the Rio
Grande; (3) New Orleans and Delta of the
Mississippi Louisiana; (4) Mobile Harbor
Alabama; (5) Entrance to Pensacola Bay
Florida; (6) Charleston Harbor and Its
Approaches S. Carolina; (7) Beaufort and
Vicinity N. Carolina; and (8) Wilmington and
Vicinity N. Carolina. Ornamental vine, floral, and bird
border. Ornate lettering in title. Pocket folder lightly
worn and faded, the map very fine, boldly colored.
The Civil War provided a stimulus for map making because of keen interest in unfolding events in the theatres of war. Railroad mapping, as documented in this pocket map, addressed the strategic importance of railroad transportation to the armies. This map is one of the most vividly colored that we have seen. Most of Texas is shown, lacking only the Trans-Pecos and far west, and detail is excellent.
VIEW OF ALGIERS, LOUISIANA, DURING UNION OCCUPATION
263. [PAINTING]. KLEIST, Rudolph. Camp of
Varners Battallion at Algiers La. [Algiers, 1864].
Original watercolor and sepia ink painting showing the
Union camp at Algiers, Louisiana, signed at lower right:
R. Kleist d. 24.8 x 42.2 cm (9-3/4 x 16-5/8 inches).
Very fine. Under glass, original carved wooden frame.
This truly is a rare type of painting. The primitive painting is very strict and regimented in its structure. A beautiful blue sky is seen over the Union Camp at Algiers, Louisiana (now a suburb of New Orleans on the west bank of the Mississippi). The site may be that of the present Naval base at Algiers. The scene shows seven rows of tents and a platoon of Union soldiers in formation. Also depicted are the everyday goings on at the camp: individuals cooking, target practice, etc. The American flag blows in the breeze in the background, ships and their sails, masts, and riggings, can be seen on the Mississippi River, as smoke billows from smokestacks.
Rudolph Kleist was born in Prussia in 1826. At his death in 1883 at Monticello, White County, Indiana, he was noted to be a carpenter and cabinet-maker (perhaps accounting for the unusual and skillfully carved wooden frame on the painting). Kleist joined for duty and enrolled as a private in Capt. Sill's Company, 46th Regiment Indiana Infantry on October 24, 1861. He was listed as a deserter on August 18, 1862 and had been absent since April 5, 1862, when he was left at Riddles Point because of illness. He appeared in November/December, 1863, and his pay was stopped for fifteen months under the decision of a general court martial approved by General A. G. Lee. Kleist was present in Algiers, Louisiana, from January 1864 to December 1864 when his term of enlistment expired.
Varner's Battalion was composed of detachments of men (not re-enlisting) from the 11th, 24th, 34th, 46th, and 47th Indiana, and 56th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, re-enlisted as Veteran Volunteers, organized in accordance with instructions from Department Headquarters and placed in command of Lt. Col. S. E. Varner, 56th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, by virtue of Special Order No. 55, Headquarters Defences of New Orleans, March 7, 1864, by order of Major General Reynolds. Provenance: Grace King Estate.
EARLY MANUSCRIPT DEVELOPMENT MAP OF AUSTIN
263A. [MAP]. ANONYMOUS. Plan of the City of
Austin on a Scale of 300 Feet to an Inch. The Avenues and
Streets Are 80 Feet Wide Except East Avenue Which Is 200
Feet in Width and Congress and College Avenues Both 120
Feet in Width. The Alleys Are 20 Feet Wide. The Lots Are 69
x 128 Feet Excepting Those That Are Number 1 to 12 Which
Are 46 by 128 Feet and 46 x 160 Feet. [Austin, ca.
1865]. Manuscript map on heavy paper, in blue and brown
ink, pale blue wash to rivers and creeks. Map measures
overall 66.3 x 41.5 cm (26-1/8 x 16-3/8 inches). Scale: 1
inch = 300 feet. Inset map at top: The Above is a Sketch
of Part of Division E on a Scale of 600 Feet to an
Inch. 9 x 38 cm (3-1/2 x 15 inches). Compass star at
lower right indicating true north and magnetic variation.
Descriptive text, reverse lists names of plot owners.
Browning and tears, some tape repairs. Needs stabilization
This important map of early Austin was found in an Austin house that was being demolished. Perhaps executed to support development or real estate interests, the map is drawn to scale and shows all of the property owners of the young capital twenty years after its founding. The map iterates Edwin Waller's 1839 plan of the city, but now all of the lots have owners, and the cartographer has added the inset above North Avenue (present-day 15th Street) to show the growth of Austin. The northern expansion carries the map up to Travis Avenue (later Magnolia Avenue, then 19th Street, and now Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard) and extends the town plan west to the edge of Shoal Creek. East-west streets are still named after Texas trees, designations which remained in effect until 1887 when these streets were unimaginatively renamed using numbers. The University and Academy sites are still present due west of Capitol Square between Rio Grande and West Avenues. Twenty years later, the university would locate to the north ignoring Waller's plan, but the Academy block became the site of Austin High School, now the main campus of Austin Community College. An useful map for establishing early Austinites and their land holdings.
264. [MAP]. JOHNSON, A. J. Johnson's Texas.
New York: A. J. Johnson, 1866. Engraved map with original
bright outline and full color. 39.4 x 54.5 cm (15-1/2 x
21-3/8 inches). Scale: 1 inch = 40 miles. Ornamental
strapwork border. Inset maps at lower left: Northern
Part of Texas and Plan of Galveston Bay and
Vicinity. Paper browned and brittle, slight chipping to
outer edges not affecting image.
Johnson's atlases were very popular, and new editions were issued frequently; Phillips lists six editions in the 1860s. Day, p. 77. Phillips, Atlases 4346. Plates 46 and 47 from Johnson's New Illustrated Family Atlas of the World.
265. [MAP]. WILLIAMS, W. Map of Mexico, Central
America and the West Indies. Philadelphia: W. Williams,
1867. Engraved map, original color. 29.7 x 50 cm (11-5/8 x
19-3/4 inches). Scale: 1 inch = 200 miles. Inset maps:
Map of the Island of Cuba; Map of the Island of
Jamaica; Map of the Bermuda Islands;
and Map of the Panama Railroad. Ornamental
border. A few minor stains on blank margin, else fine.
266. [MAP]. TEXAS & PACIFIC RAILWAY COMPANY.
Map of Stephens County. Texas. [N.p., 1870s].
Lithographed map with manuscript outlining in red and some
land sections colored yellow. 47.6 x 40.6 cm (18-3/4 x 16
inches). 1 inch = 4000 varas. At upper left is of the seal
of the Land Department, Texas & Pacific Railway
Company, Marshall, Texas, below which is: M. Strickland,
Lith. Galveston. Faint browning, a few splits and minor
voids at old folds. Neatly mounted on acid-free Japanese
Texas railroad companies issued many county maps in this period to document their land holdings and to plan further acquisitions. At the same time that the railroads were publishing their maps, the Texas General Land Office was also documenting Texas with its own series of county maps. The maps demonstrate the growing sophistication of mapping and provide an important record of Texas of the period.
The first white settler in Stephens County in North Central Texas was John R. Baylor, who supposedly built a log cabin on the Clear Fork in 1857. The county was created in 1858 and initially named Buchanan County in honor of James Buchanan, but in 1861 the name was changed to Stephens to honor Alexander H. Stephens of the Confederate States of America. The county saw hard times in the Civil Warabout a hundred people "forted up" at Fort Davis and the Kiowa and Comanche tribes raided Big Caddo Creek. The county was organized in 1876, and Breckenridge was made county seat.
267. [MAP]. YEAGER. Physical Map of the United
States Showing its Mountains, Plains, Rivers, Isothermal
Lines &c. N.p., . Engraved map, original
color. 20 x 28.3 cm (8 x 11-1/8 inches). Scale: 1 inch =
approximately 285 miles. Light browning.
An interesting map of the U.S. Red isothermal lines indicate the mean annual temperature of the regions through which they pass, and the map's coloring identifies the country's major drainage basins (Atlantic slope, Mississippi Valley, Texas slope, etc.).
268. [BOOK]. KANSAS CENTRAL RAILWAY. Statement
of the Condition and Resources of the Kansas Central
Railway (Narrow Gauge) from Leavenworth, Kansas to Denver,
Colorado. Leavenworth: Office of the Kansas Farmer,
1871. 19 pp., lithographed map on onionskin paper: Map
of the Kansas Central Railway and Its Connections (32.8
x 60 cm; 12-3/4 x 23-1/2 inches; route outlined in red).
8vo, original blue wrappers printed and decorated in black
and gold, sewn. Light wear to fragile wraps and a bit of
First edition. Graff 2273. Not in Wheat. The route is shown from Chicago and south of Memphis to beyond Albuquerque/North Park/Cheyenne. The only part of Texas on the map is the upper Panhandle to south of the Canadian River.
269. [MAP]. STÜLPNAGEL, J. von.
Verein-Staaten von Nord-America mit Ausnahme Florida's
und der westlichen Territorien. Gotha: J. Perthes,
1871. Engraved map, original outline coloring. 34.5 x 39.3
cm (13-5/8 x 15-1/2 inches). Scale: 1 inch = approximately
100 miles. Inset map: Südl. Haupt-Theil von
Texas. Creased where formerly folded, split repaired.
Soiling on bottom margin.
Plate no. 47 from Steiler's Hand-Atlas. Phillips, Atlases 4352.
270. [MAP]. FERROCARRIL INTERNACIONAL DE TEXAS.
Carta General de la República indicando las
lineas del proyectado Ferrocarril Internacional de
México. Segun las propuestas sometidas al Congreso
de la Union por el Sr. D. Eduardo Lee Plumb en
representacion de la Compañia del Ferrocarril
internacional de Texas. Mexico: Debray, 1872.
Lithographed map. 17.4 x 23 cm (6-7/8 x 9 inches). Scale
not stated. Lower right blank corner with one small chip,
The map is on the first page of a four-page folder, the third page of which is a table of distances. The line is shown in Mexico and running from Laredo to Fulton. See Michael Mathes, Mexico on Stone for more on Debray.
271. [BOOK]. WHEELER, George M. Letter from the
Secretary of War Communicating...a Preliminary Report...of
the Progress of the Engineer Exploration of the Public
Domain in Nevada and Arizona.... Washington: SED65,
1872. 94 pp., photolithographed map: Explorations and
Surveys South of Central Pacific R. R. War Department
Preliminary Topographical Map...Louis Nell. 71 x 56 cm
(28 x 22 inches). Scale: 1 inch = 24 miles. Spine of report
reinforced with old paper, two tape-repairs on first leaf,
paper friable. Map split at folds.
Early report and map of Death Valley. Wheat, Transmississippi West 1237 & p. 338: "Wheeler was sent back to Nevada in 1871 for further explorations, to be extended into Arizona. His report, handed in early in 1872...was accompanied by a 'Preliminary Topographical Map Embracing in Skeleton a Portion Only of the Notes'... In general the map displays a portion of Nevada extending south from Battle Mountain and Elko, together with parts of California south and west of the oblique boundary (especially Death Valley and environs), as far as the Sierra Nevada and San Bernardino, and a diagonal cross-section of Arizona, from Callville in Nevada, past Prescott and Wickenburg, to Tucson. Enough of the West is shown to give the map great interest."
272. [MAP]. GRAY, O. W. Gray's Atlas Map of
Texas. N.p., . Engraved map. 30 x 37.4 cm (11-7/8
x 14-3/4 inches). Original full color. Scale: 1 inch = 60
miles. Inset maps: Plan of Galveston Bay and Plan
of Sabine Lake. Explanatory text. Tear on upper and
right margin with some tape repairs, light browning.
Page 112 from Gray's Atlas. Verso with Gray's Atlas Map of Arkansas. West central Texas is dominated by the western extension of Bexar County and the Panhandle, with Young Territory.
KOCH'S BIRD'S-EYE VIEW OF SAN ANTONIO, 1873
273. [BIRD'S-EYE VIEW]. KOCH, Augustus. Bird's
Eye View of the City of San Antonio Bexar County.
[Madison: J. J. Stoner], 1873. Lithographic bird's-eye
view with original coloring. Image: 55.5 x 72.2 cm (21-7/8
x 28-3/8 inches). Image with text: 58.8 x 72.2 cm (23-3/16
x 28-3/8). Legend below identifying 42 sites.
Professionally deacidified and a few small tears repaired.
Fine and bright.
Second lithographic bird's-eye view of San Antonio (preceded only by Lungkwitz's view printed in Dresden ca. 1860). Reps (Views 3996) locates two copies (Witte Museum & UT Center for American History); Cities of the American West, Figure 18.18 & pp. 614-18: "In 1869 San Antonio's population was more than 12,000. Three years later Augustus Koch prepared the [present] view.... While no over-all plan guided the town's growth, the Spanish and Mexican tradition of the plaza evidently proved too strong to be overlooked even by the land speculators who vied with one another in promoting new real estate ventures at the outskirts of the city. In addition to the irregularly shaped Alamo Plaza to the left of the rover's loop and the older rectangular main and military plazas near the center view, several new open spaces can be seen."
The view is dominated by the meandering San Antonio River and the presence of many Spanish-style plazas. Population density thins to only an occasional cluster of homes a few blocks beyond Water Street, the entire town being less than twenty blocks square. The feeling is of a small, peaceful, multi-cultural town. Located are public buildings, hospitals, churches, schools, casino, Menger Hotel, small factories (including two breweries, a tannery, three mills, an ice plant, etc.). German born Augustus Koch (1840-?), the creator of this rare view, was one of the most important viewmakers. "No American viewmaker traveled more widely in search of subjects than Augustus Koch.... Koch drew his cities with considerable care, consistently depicting his subjects as if seen from very high points.... He seems to have drawn with substantial accuracy.... His recorded output of 110 views exceeded by only a few other viewmakers" (Reps, Views, pp. 184-85).
274. [MAP]. PETERMANN, A. Erforschung von
Nordwest-Texas. [and] Orientirungskarte. Gotha:
Justus Perthes, 1873. 2 engraved maps on a single page, the
upper with full original color. 8.6 x 19.5 cm (3-1/2 x
7-5/8 inches) and 16.3 x 19.5 cm (5-3/8 x 7-5/8 inches).
Scale: 1 inch = approximately 8 miles (upper) and 1 inch =
approximately 12.5 miles (lower). Fine.
The maps concentrate on central Texas. The upper map is a geological map of north central Texas, from Dallas County at lower right west to 101°W and extending north to the line of the Red River. The lower map is a general map covering the whole of central Texas. Plate 23 from Petermann's Geographische Mitteilungen for 1873.
ROSS' POCKET MAP OF TEXAS & INDIAN TERRITORY
275. [POCKET MAP]. ROSS, E. H. Ross' New
Connected County & Railroad Map of Texas and Indian
Territory. St. Louis: E. H. Ross, Western Map Emporium,
1873. Pocket map, original 16mo brown blind-stamped
map folder. Lithographed map, original coloring in green,
maize, pink, and lilac. 99.4 x 69 cm (39-1/4 x 27-1/8
inches). Scale: 1 inch = approximately 20 miles. Inset map:
Plan of Western Part of Texas. Ornamental border.
Large ornate lettering in title, with oval vignette of
train pulling into a station. Pocket worn. Map
professionally deacidified and neatly restored (a few
losses at folds and margins, infilled and neatly supplied
in facsimile). Exceedingly rare.
First edition, third issue (the map also issued in 1871 and 1872, identical except for date). Phillips, America, p. 846 (citing only the 1871 edition). Taliaferro 343 (photostat only). In the history of Texas cartography certain landmark large-scale pocket maps come to mind, such as Austin's map of 1830, Hunt & Randel's map of 1839, and De Cordova's map of 1849. The present map stands in this same tradition, as do the maps of Roessler and Eppinger & Baker. Ross used Austin's map as the starting point for his format and created one of the earliest Texas maps designated as a railroad map. The map also shows early development of railroads in Indian Territory.
|<Back to Table of Contents||<Back to Home Page||View next group of items>|