107. [MAP]. WILLIAMS, C. S. Map of Texas from the Most Recent Authorities. Philadelphia: Published by C. S. Williams N.E. corner of Market & 7th. Streets 1847 [lower center in image area] Entered, According to Act of Congress, in the Year 1845, by C. S. Williams, in the Clerk’s Office of the District Court of the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. [inset map at lower left]: Texas North of Red River [lower right outside neat line] Plate 35. Lithograph map in original full hand color, neat line to neat line: 60.6 x 38 cm. Except for light marginal brown, very fine.
J. H. Young published the first version of this classic nineteenth-century Texas map in 1845 (Streeter 1629), and it was frequently republished in various atlases, sometimes with the same number as here. In this particular iteration the erroneous Spring Creek County noted by Streeter in the first edition has disappeared, but the legend Colorado Hills still appears above Austin. The map also shows all the major roads, counties, many of the primary streams, and some persistent legends such as the “Silver Mine” west of San Antonio. A flag marks the site of the 1836 Battle of San Jacinto. A note in the northwest section reads: "This tract of Country as far as North Canadian Fork was explored by Le Grand in 1833, it is naturally fertile, well wooded, and with a fair proportion of water." Not in Day or Taliaferro. ($300-600)
Home | e-mail: email@example.com