Dorothy Sloan -- Books

AUCTION 22

 


1855 Lease on Fort McKavett


Click images or links labeled Enlarge to enlarge. Links labeled Zoom open zoomable images (requires Flash).
 
 
 

193.     [FORT McKAVETT, TEXAS]. Manuscript: “Articles of agreement made and entered into this first day December one thousand eight hundred and fifty five between Bvt. Lt. Col. A.C. Myers, Asst. Quartm. U.S.A. on the one part and E.D. Lane of the County of Bexar and M.A. Dooley of the County of Comal and State of Texas of the other part…. November 30, 1855.” Signed by Myers, Lane, et al. 4 pp., folio, manuscript in ink on blue ruled paper. Note on p. 4 by Myers indicating no payment on the lease was made by him. Thin sliver detached, but present, from outer margin of first leaf (loss of a few letters), a few short splits at old folds, otherwise fine.

     Originally called Camp San Saba, Fort McKavett was established in March 1852 and covered about 2,373 acres near the right bank of the San Saba River. Several infantry companies were stationed there in an effort to protect frontier settlers from the Comanches. The post was abandoned in March, 1859, but reoccupied in April, 1868.

($200-400)

 

Auction 22 Abstracts

Click images or links labeled Enlarge to enlarge. Links labeled Zoom open zoomable images (requires Flash).

 
 
 

DSRB Home | e-mail: rarebooks@sloanrarebooks.com