Copyright 2000-2017 by Dorothy Sloan-Rare Books Inc. for all materials on this site. All rights reserved, including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form.
71. [PORTLAND, TEXAS]. LOWE, J. (engraver). Ornate engraved township stock certificate, commencing: $ [100.00] No.  Capital Stock Two Thousand Acres of Land & City Lots. City of Portland Matagorda Co. Republic of Texas.... Galveston: J. Lowe, 1841. Signed by Nicholas Clopper; April 29, 1841. 8.9 x 18.2 cm. (3-1/4 x 7-1/8 inches). Very fine condition.
This rare Republic of Texas scrip signed by Clopper,
one of Galveston's earliest settlers, appears to be the
earliest engraving made in Texas. Signer Clopper was
"one of the first to see the potential of Buffalo Bayou as
a trade route between the Brazos area and the sea. [He]
organized the Texas Trading Association in 1827.... In 1826
he purchased the peninsula between Galveston and San
Jacinto bays, now known as Morgan's Point" (New
Handbook II:164). Apparently, this land scheme came to
naught, for the town of Portland, Texas, was never
established. Medlar, Texas Obsolete Notes and Scrip,
Click for image
72. [POSTCARDS, TRAVEL EPHEMERA & TOURIST PROMOTIONALS]. Collection of almost 500 postcards, accordion postcard folders, travel destination brochures and guides, hotel brochures, tour bus folders, programs, and other ephemera. Most are scenic postcards and travel related items collected in the early and mid 1920s during the trips of Dewbart Lee Bourland of Comfort, Texas. Used postcards have dates ranging from 1910 to 1953. Mostly fine.
An interesting glimpse at America when things
happened more slowly; the automobile was present but did
not dominate; and the post card was one of the best ways to
preserve memories and communicate. The 382 scenic postcards
and 29 accordion postcard folders (3 from railroad lines)
depict 24 states, the District of Columbia, Alaska, 3
Canadian provinces, and Mexico. Strongly represented are
Texas, California, Colorado, Louisiana, New York, Oregon,
Washington, and Wyoming. Subjects include public buildings
and hotels, interior views, cityscapes, landscapes, the San
Antonio zoo, Yellowstone Park, Field Museum, Mammoth Cave,
California orange groves, Catalina Island, and the nation's
capital. A sports postcard depicts the "Polo Grounds, New
York City, Home of the New York Giants" (oval portrait of
manager Johnny McGraw at upper right). In addition to the
travel destination cards and folders, there are 77
postcards on other topics (holidays, feminine beauty,
humor, art, floral, etc.) plus 14 other ephemera.
Robertson's Colony Land Grant
73. [ROBERTSON'S COLONY]. Original manuscript land grant on sealed paper, granting one league of land on the north bank of Little River to Samuel Nelson, signed and written entirely in the hand of Elijah S. C. Robertson and with his manuscript docketing on p. ; also signed by Guillermo H. Steele and Manuel Valdes Flores. Viesca, September 16, 1835. 3 pp., folio. Third page with manuscript recording of the land grant, signed by W. D. Thomson, County Clerk of Milam County, Republic of Texas, Nashville (Texas), March 31, 1838. Creased where formerly folded, light wear to right blank margin, generally fine.
Robertson's Colony grants are much more difficult to obtain than those for Austin's colonies. Robertson's Colony had a complex history, being variously known as the Texas Association, Leftwich's Grant, the Nashville Colony, or Austin and Williams' Upper Colony (New Handbook V:625-26). The grant for the colony consisted of almost 1,500,000 acres in central Texas, cutting a wide swath from north of Austin up to the Cross Timbers, centering around Waco. Initiated in 1822 by a group of Nashville families, a colonization contract was granted to Robert Leftwich, acting as their agent in 1825, after a three-year delay. Leftwich sold the contract to the Texas Association. In 1830, under the agency of Sterling C. Robertson, families were recruited to come to Texas, but the Law of April 6, 1830, prevented them, and they had to settle in Austin's colony. Robertson asked Stephen F. Austin to intervene with the Mexican authorities on his behalf, but Austin instead applied for and was granted the area in his own name and that of Samuel May Williams. Rather than recruit settlers for their "upper colony," Austin and Williams sold permits to outside land speculators. As a result, their contract was canceled in 1834 and a new empresario contract awarded to Robertson. Robertson's Colony made itsr first grant on October 20, 1834. Members of the Coahuila y Tejas legislature made an abortive attempt to return the colony to Austin's control, but did not muster a quorum when they passed the decree. See items 42 & 52 herein.
This grant is signed by Elijah S. C. Robertson
(1820-1879), son of empresario Sterling C. Robertson,
Spanish clerk of Robertson's colony, early Texas Ranger,
lawyer, and soldier (New Handbook V:615-6). William
H. Steele signed the land grant in his capacity as land
commissioner of the colony. The document is on official
stamped paper of the second type (Sello segundo).
All official papers were required by law to be written on
official stamped (or sealed) paper with the proper printing
designated by the Mexican government. The designation
Sello segundo indicates that this copy of
the document is a testimonio, the duplicate signed
copy given to the owner as a duplicate original.
Click for image
74. [SALAZAR, Hipólito (lithographer) & Hesiquio Iriarte (artist)]. Revista científica y literaria de México. Mexico: J. M. Lara, 1845. 510 pp., lithographic title, numerous lithographic plates. Large 8vo, contemporary dark brown sheep over paper-covered boards. Binding scuffed, upper hinge broken, first signature loose. Text and plates fine. Vol. I of the series.
First edition. Mathes, Mexico on
Stone, pp. 19-23, 56. Palau 263748. Includes
lithographic views of Houston (with mountains in
background!), Galveston, Monterey (California), Russian
settlements on the West Coast, etc., which accompany
various articles. "The lithographs in the Revista
científica y literaria de México were the
product of two of Mexicos most gifted craftsmen:
Iriarte, the artist, and Salazar, the printmaker. The
journal was printed in the shop of José Mariano
Fernández de Lara, who had taken his place among
Mexicos foremost lithographers when he printed the
monumental Monumentos de México tomados del
natural in 1841" (Ron Tyler).
Click for image
Manuscript Plan for a Presidio in San Antonio—1725
75. [SAN ANTONIO DE BÉXAR]. Original manuscript plan for a presidio in San Antonio de Béxar. N.p., ca. 1725. 2 pp., folio. Pen and ink on paper. Recto: plan of the presidio with the San Antonio and San Pedro rivers flanking; verso: explanatory text. 1-1/2 inch split and stain at fold not affecting image, otherwise fine. Documentation of this type for the Spanish Southwest is seldom offered.
This plan for a new fortification at San Antonio was conceived by the Marqués de San Miguel de Aguayo during his 1721-22 expedition to Texas (New Handbook I:71-72). Four other copies of this plan appear to exist. See Frank de la Teja, San Antonio de Béxar (Albuquerque, 1995) & Richard Santos, Aguayo Expedition to Texas, 1721 (Austin, 1981). The Aguayo expedition reoccupied the East Texas missions and presidios that had been abandoned during the French invasion of 1719 and reestablished Spanish dominion in Texas. When Aguayo left Texas, the number of missions had increased from two to ten, and the number of presidios from one to four. He recommended that 400 families be recruited to settle the area east of San Antonio, making him the father of Spanish colonization of Texas. Although Aguayo did re-garrison San Antonio de Béxar, the present ambitious plan for a large garrison fort was never carried through to completion; it probably only got as far as building the foundations described in the text accompanying the plan. According to text on verso (translation):
There was a fortification marked by the Marqués de San Miguel de Aguayo; and he left all the foundations built and a great part of the construction with orders to finish in a short time, leaving the lumber and all the materials at the foot of the site.
Click for image
For Sale—Estates of a Failed Mexican Dictator
Item 76 - detail
76. [SANTA ANNA, Antonio López de (1794-1876)]. Ornate engraved pictorial mortgage bond, signed by Santa Anna and others. Text commences: United States of America. No.  First Mortgage Bonds $500. Know all Men by these Presents that I Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna at Present in the City of New York, am Indebted to.... New York: Nathan Lane, 1866. Insets illustrate three of Santa Anna's properties which he is mortgaging. Very fine. Good exhibit item.
After Santa Anna's final ouster in 1855, his life
was a perhaps deservedly unending series of frustrations
and disappointments. He attempted to return to Mexico
several times but was promptly deported on each occasion.
In the U.S. he was swindled out of most of his savings by
persons who claimed to have influence with the State
Department. Virtually broke, he resorted to issuing
mortgage bonds like this one on his properties to raise
capital. Only after the death of Benito Juárez in
1872 was Santa Anna permitted to return home. Even then he
was treated as an embarrassment by the government, and he
died almost penniless and ignored in 1876. See item 62
77. SIMPSON, Harold B. Audie Murphy American Soldier. Hillsboro: Hill Junior College Press, 1975. xv  466 pp., colored frontispiece, photographic illustrations. 4to, original half green leather over army green twill cloth, with military patches and insignia on upper cover. New, as issued, preserved in publisher's green cloth slipcase.
First edition, limited edition (#47 of 50
copies, signed by author). Compendious biography of the
most decorated soldier of World War II. New Handbook
78. SIMPSON, Harold B. The Marshall Guards: Harrison County's Contribution to Hood's Texas Brigade. Marshall: Caddo Press & Harrison County Historical Society, . viii, 26 pp., portrait. 8vo, original full gilt-lettered red leather, ecru silk moiré endpapers. Very fine.
Limited edition (#14 of 50 copies, signed by
79. [SLAVERY IN TEXAS]. Certified manuscript copy of a bill of sale in which George W. Park and his wife Margaret convey ownership of "a certain negro girl named Louisa Adams aged about nineteen years and of light complexion sound in body and mind and a slave for life" to J. L. Danagh. Galveston, September 7, 1852. 1-1/2 pp., folio. Fine.
This certified copy, with signed attestation of
County Clerk Oscar Farish, is dated September 8, 1853.
Docketing on verso, dated December 4, 1856, is signed by
George W. Woodman.
Signed by Tchaikovsky in Russian
80. TCHAIKOVSKY, Peter Ilyich (1840-1893). Photographic cabinet card portrait of the composer. Hamburg: E. Bieber, n.d. 15.6 x 10.3 cm. (6-1/4 x 4 inches). Signed and inscribed by Tchaikovsky in Russian. April 22, 1888. Other than light spotting, fine.
A most desirable musical autograph, particularly in
conjunction with a photograph and in Russian. The
photograph was taken at the beginning of the flowering of
Tchaikovsky's career, just after his debut as a conductor,
and during the year that he toured Europe. In the next five
years he went on to conduct at the opening night of what
was to become Carnegie Hall ("I am a much more important
person here than in Russia"), was elected a member of the
Academie Française, and was awarded an honorary
doctorate at Cambridge University. Tchaikovsky is the one
composer who could be said to capture the essence of
"Russianness," even though he is not associated with the
nationalist school. He followed a determinedly independent
path, and was savaged brutally by critics for his
Click for image
|Back to Home Page||Back to Auction 6 Contents||Top of this Page|