Copyright 2000-2017 by Dorothy Sloan-Rare Books Inc. for all materials on this site. All rights reserved, including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form.
Texas County and Local History
The items in this catalogue have been sold. This catalogue was issued in 2011, and is presented in full on our website as a courtesy to users and for reference purposes.
176. SAN ANTONIO BUSINESS MEN’S CLUB. San Antonio, Texas Through a Camera. Los Angeles: T. Newman, n.d.  folios, many full-page photographic illustrations of San Antonio architecture and landmarks. Oblong 4to, original pale green pictorial wrappers tied with silk cord. Wraps heavily worn and chipped with large voids, upper wraps nearly detached. Title page a bit dark with a little insect damage to lower blank margin, otherwise good condition with photo illustrations undamaged.
First edition. CBC 409 $50
177. San Antonio Historical and Modern. San Antonio: Passing Show, 1909. 74  pp., ads, many photographic illustrations. 8vo, original color pictorial wrappers. Wraps heavily worn with chips and voids, upper wrap detached and lower wrap detaching, a little insect damage and occasional pencil notes to text, first 8 pages worn and creased, fair condition only.
Not in CBC. $30
178. SAN ANTONIO CHAMBER OF COMMERCE. Buyers’ Directory, San Antonio, The Commercial and Industrial Center of the Southwest [wrapper title]. San Antonio: Chamber of Commerce, 1923. 62 pp. Narrow 8vo, original grey pictorial wrappers, stapled. Wraps browned and lightly worn, marks in pencil and colored pencil to text, otherwise very good. $25
179. SAN ANTONIO CHAMBER OF COMMERCE. San Antonio’s La Villita (Pronounced Lah Vee-yee-tah): The Quaint Old Spanish Village in the Heart of a Romantic City. San Antonio: Chamber of Commerce, n.d. Folding illustrated pamphlet printed in three colors: Folded: 22.9 x 10.2 cm; open: 22.9 x 61 cm. A few fox-marks, otherwise fine. $10
180. SAN ANTONIO HOTEL GREETERS. San Antonio and South Texas Greeters Guide 7:39 (Week of January 12, 1936). San Antonio: San Antonio Hotel Greeters, 1936. 15  pp., map, ads, illustrations. 8vo original white printed self-wrappers, stapled. A little light wear and insect damage to wraps, otherwise very good. $20
181. SAN ANTONIO MUSEUM ASSOCIATION. “The Agatha Maverick Welch Collection” from Museum Notes 1:6 (March 1931).  pp., illustration. 4to, unbound sheet printed on recto only. Creased where formerly folded, otherwise fine. $5
182. SAN ANTONIO MOZART SOCIETY. San Antonio Mozart Society, San Antonio, Texas. Season 1922-1923 [wrapper title]. N.p., Dullnig Printing Co., n.d.  pp., illustrations. 8vo, original pale green pictorial self-wrappers, stapled. Moderate wear and insect damage to wraps and p. , otherwise good.
Programme for concert featuring “Mademoiselle Jenny Lind as Sung by Miss Frieda Hempel.” $10
183. SAN ANTONIO MOZART SOCIETY. San Antonio Mozart Society, San Antonio, Texas. Season 1923-1924 [wrapper title]. N.p., Dullnig Printing Co., n.d.  pp., illustrations. 8vo, original tan pictorial self-wrappers, stapled. Very light wear to wraps, otherwise fine. Two related news clippings laid in.
Programme for concert featuring Mr. Edward Johnson. $10
184. SAN ANTONIO MUNICIPAL INFORMATION BUREAU. Picturesque San Antonio: Where Life is Different. San Antonio: Municipal Information Bureau, n.d. (ca. 1940s).  pp., many photographic illustrations. 4to, original color pictorial wrappers. Fair condition only: spine and upper left corner of text water stained.
San Antonio promotional item aimed at vacationers. $5
185. SAN ANTONIO MUNICIPAL INFORMATION BUREAU. San Antonio: Where Life is Different. San Antonio: Municipal Information Bureau, n.d. (ca. 1950).  pp., map, many photographic illustrations. 4to, original color pictorial wrappers. Light wear to wraps, lower wrap water stained near spine, otherwise very good
San Antonio promotional item aimed at vacationers. $5
186. [SAN ANTONIO ZOOLOGICAL GARDENS AND AQUARIUM]. Zoo. Visit San Antonio Zoological Gardens and Aquarium, One of the World’s Greatest. N.p., n.d.  pp., photographic illustrations. Unbound two-color folded sheet: Folded: 22.9 x 10.2 cm; Open: 22.9 x 20.3 cm. One corner lightly bumped, else fine. $5
187. SANTOS, Richard G. San Antonio de Bexar 1 de Enero 1836. N.p., n.d. (map copyrighted 1963).  pp., map. 8vo, original printed orange and yellow self-wrappers, stapled. Staples rusting, otherwise very fine.
Small guide to San Antonio as it existed in 1836, showing the relationship between past and present streets (as of 1963). $15
188. SCHULZ, Ellen D. 500 Wild Flowers of San Antonio and Vicinity. San Antonio: Published by the author, 1922. 272 pp., map, text illustrations, 21 plates. 8vo, original green cloth. Poor condition. $20
189. SCHUMAN, Henry (compiler) & Pat Ireland Nixon. Sixty-five Notable Milestones in the History of Medicine in the Bexar County Medical Library, Compiled by Henry Schuman, with a Short Account of the Bexar County Medical Library by Pat Ireland Nixon, M.D. San Antonio, 1961. 53 [1, blank] pp. 8vo, original maroon pictorial wrappers, stapled. Very fine. Inscribed to Mr. and Mrs. Dudley R. Dobie and signed by Pat Ireland Nixon in a different hand. In mailing envelope addressed to the Dobies and accompanied by DRD’s note about the P.I. Nixon collection: “Some of these were designed by Carl Hertzog of San Antonio and are now rare.”
First edition. Not in Lowman. Exhibition catalogue. $20
190. SHEPHARD, Seth. The Fall of the Alamo: An Oration by Hon. Seth Shephard, of Dallas, Texas, Delivered Before the San Marcos Chautauqua Assembly, July 8th, 1889. San Antonio: Maverick Printing House for Alamo Monument Association, 1889. 21  pp., plan of the Alamo. 8vo, original tan pictorial wrappers. A little spotting to wraps, one small spot on title page, otherwise fine.
Not in CBC. $250
191. SMITH, Harvey Partridge. Romantic San Antonio by Harry Partridge Smith, Illustrated with Pen Sketches Drawn from Life by the Author [wrapper title]. San Antonio: Jackson Printing Company, 1918.  pp., text illustrations by author. 8vo, original printed cream self-wrappers. Wraps lightly foxed with a few spots and one small hole in upper wrap, slight foxing to edges, otherwise very good.
First edition. CBC 471. Attractive illustrations of San Antonio landmarks. $50
192. SMITH, Harvey Partridge. Romantic San Antonio...A Descriptive Journey to the Many Picturesque and Romantic Places in and Around Old San Antonio. San Antonio: Naylor, 1936. 31 [1, blank pp.], text illustrations by author. 8vo, original tan pictorial wrappers, stapled. Wraps with light insect damage, small chips to edges, and a few spots, otherwise very good.
Revised edition. CBC 471. $40
193. Souvenir of the Picturesque Alamo City, San Antonio, Texas. San Antonio: Ebers & Wurtz, n.d. 64 pp., many photographic illustrations. Oblong 12mo, original white pictorial wrappers printed in black, red, and gold, stapled. Light wear and a little browning and foxing to wraps, staples a bit rusty, pages adjacent to wraps browned, otherwise near fine.
Not in CBC. Attractive photo-illustrated promotional guide to San Antonio. $80
194. STEWART, P.F. Bexar County School Annual 1914-1915 [wrapper title]. San Antonio: Nic Tengg, n.d.  pp., ads, photographic illustrations. 8vo, original light blue pictorial wrappers with brown cloth backstrip. Wraps worn and soiled with insect damage, upper wrap and first leaf torn. Contemporary ink ownership inscription on upper wrap and notes in ink throughout text, fair copy only. $25
195. STUMPF, Mrs. Franz. Toujours en Avant: San Antonio’s Menger. N.p., 1953. 44  pp. 8vo, original white pictorial wrappers, stapled. Wraps lightly shelf-worn, browned, and foxed, otherwise very good. $50
196. STURMBERG, Robert (compiler). History of San Antonio and of the Early Days in Texas. San Antonio: St. Joseph’s Society, 1920. 130 pp., frontispiece, 12 plates. 8vo, original tan pictorial wrappers. Text browned due to poor quality paper, final blank leaf tearing away from staples (but attached), else fine.
First edition. CBC 480. Rader 3002. TC 155. $30
197. SUTHERLAND, John. The Fall of the Alamo...Written in 1860 and now Published for the First Time...Together with a Sketch of the Life of the Author by his Grand-daughter—Annie B. Sutherland. San Antonio: Naylor, 1936. viii  47 pp., frontispiece portrait, 2 plates, text illustrations. 12mo, original tan pictorial wrappers. Small stain on upper wrap, text browned due to poor quality paper, small chip in final leaf, else fine.
First edition. Schoelwer, Alamo Images, p. 192: “Includes a sketch of Sutherland’s life by his granddaughter...as well as Sutherland’s rough drawing of the Alamo grounds.” Sutherland (1792-1867) came to Texas in 1835, ministered to the sick at the Alamo garrison in early 1836, warned Travis of the approaching Mexican force, rallied the men of Gonzales to the support of the Alamo, and served as Burnet’s private secretary and aide-de-camp (see Handbook of Texas Online: Sutherland, John, Jr.). $100
198. TEMPLETON, Frank. Margaret Ballentine; or, The Fall of the Alamo. A Romance of the Texas Revolution. Houston: State Printing Company, 1907. 244 pp., frontispiece, 8 plates. 8vo, original tan pictorial cloth. Binding moderately shelf-worn and soiled, a little water staining and insect damage to upper cover and first few leaves, name written in ink on top edge of text block, contemporary gift inscription of front free endpaper, text block cracked (but holding), otherwise good.
A work of historical fiction about the Alamo. $30
199. TERRELL WELLS. Terrell Wells: A Modern Health and Rest Resort—Sulphur Water Baths that Re-vitalize the Aging, Expert Treatments that Constitute Health Insurance for Those Who are Well.... N.p., n.d. (ca. 1928) Folded sheet printed in color: Folded: 23.5 x 10.1 cm; Open: 23.5 x 60.6 cm. Poor condition due to insect damage. Typed letter on Terrell Wells stationery to Capt. R.W. Aldrich of Austin, signed by H.E. Sturmberg, president, laid in.
Pamphlet promoting the Terrell Wells health resort, once located eight miles southwest of downtown San Antonio (Handbook of Texas Online: Terrell Wells, Texas). $15
200. TURNER, Leo. The Story of Fort Sam Houston, 1876-1936. San Antonio: Leo Turner, 1936. 32 pp., photographic illustrations. 12mo, original white pictorial wrappers. Fine.
First edition. CBC 489. TC 209. $35
DSRB Home | e-mail: email@example.com
Copyright Dorothy Sloan 2011