Copyright 2000-2016 by Dorothy Sloan-Rare Books Inc. for all materials on this site. All rights reserved, including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form.
Texas County and Local History
The items in this catalogue have been sold. This catalogue was issued in 2011, and is presented in full on our website as a courtesy to users and for reference purposes.
226. Texarkana Centennial Historical Program, 1873-1973 [wrapper title]. N.p., n.d. 30  31-57  pp. (wrappers included in pagination), map, photographic illustrations. 4to, original pictorial tan wrappers, stapled. Ink ownership inscription on upper wrap, small water spot and light crease on lower wrap, else fine.
TC 253. $30
227. ALLEN, Dr. O.F. General Sam Houston’s Inaugural Address After Being Sworn In as President of the Republic of Texas before the First Session of Congress at Columbia, Texas [wrapper title]. Temple, 1936.  6 pp., photographic illustration. 12mo, original light gray printed wrappers, stapled. Light wear and browning to wraps, small mark on upper wrap, overall near fine.
Not in CBC. $20
228. BRAZORIA COUNTY CENTENNIAL CLUB. Velasco in Texas History [wrapper title]. Angleton: Brazoria County Centennial Club, 1936. 19  pp. Narrow 8vo, original blue wrappers printed in silver, stapled. Staples a bit rusty, otherwise very fine. Signed by contributing author Ernest Dean Dorchester on upper wrap, centennial celebration program laid in.
First edition. CBC 619. $25
229. BRAZORIA COUNTY CENTENNIAL CLUB. Velasco in Texas History [wrapper title]. Angleton: Brazoria County Centennial Club, 1936. Another copy, not signed. Fine other then a little light wear to bottom right corner. $20
230. BRAZORIA COUNTY FEDERATION OF WOMEN’S CLUBS. History of Brazoria County [wrapper title]. N.p.: Brazoria County Federation of Women’s Clubs, 1940.  61 [1, blank] pp. 8vo, original cream pictorial wrappers, stapled. Aside from a few tiny spots to wraps, fine.
First edition. CBC 596. $60
231. CREIGHTON, James A. A Narrative History of Brazoria County. N.p., Brazoria County Historical Commission, 1976. xii, 533  blank pp., drawings by Zella McDaniel, photographs, endpaper maps. 8vo, original brown cloth gilt. Slight shelf wear, two corners lightly bumped, small water stain to top edge of text block (not affecting text), otherwise very good.
Bicentennial edition, second printing. TC 165, TLH, p. 8 (both giving date of 1975) $50
232. HISTORICAL RECORDS SURVEY. Inventory of the Colonial Archives of Texas, 1821—1837...No. 3, Municipality of Brazoria, 1832—1837 (Brazoria County Courthouse, Angleton, Texas). San Antonio: Historical Records Survey, 1937.  120 [1, blank] pp., map. 4to, original blue printed wrappers with grey cloth backstrip. Wraps a bit faded, a bit of foxing to edges, otherwise very good.
First edition. CBC 600. TC 262 (referring to recent reprint edition) $15
233. ROGERS, Mary Nixon, Abner J. Strobel, and T.L. Smith, Jr. (respectively). A History of Brazoria County, Texas; The Old Plantations and their Owners of Brazoria County, Texas; Steamboats on the Brazos. N.p.: T.L. Smith, Jr., 1958. 92 pp, illustrations. 8vo, original red printed wrappers, stapled. Spine and first and last few leaves water stained (not affecting text), tape stains on flyleaves, else very good. Signed by T.L. Smith, Jr. on preface.
Combined reprint containing three essays on Brazoria County history. CBC 611. TC 259. See following item. $40
234. STROBEL, Abner. The Old Plantations and Their Owners of Brazoria County, Texas. Houston: Union National Bank, 1930. 50  pp. 8vo, original cream printed wrappers, stapled. Wraps lightly worn and soiled with a few fox-marks and light creases, otherwise near fine.
Revised edition. CBC 615. TC 267. TLH, p. 8 (referring to 1979 reprint of 1926 edition) $125
235. TEXAS STATEWIDE RECORDS PROJECT. Index to Probate Cases of Texas. No. 20. Brazoria County, March 30, 1832-October 29, 1939. San Antonio: State-wide Records Indexing and Inventory Program, 1942. vi, 67 [1, blank] pp., map. 4to, original blue printed wrappers with black cloth backstrip. Fine.
First edition. CBC 629. $15
236. [VELASCO, TEXAS]. THE CITY CLUB. Plain Facts about Velasco and Surrounding County. Some Things Velasco Wants. Velasco: The City Club, n.d. (ca. 1896). 10 pp. 12.4 x 7.2 cm, cream folding pamphlet with page numbers printed on panels. Fine.
Not in CBC. Small promotional pamphlet focusing on farming in the Velasco area. $60
237. WAIT, J. Russell. Survey Report to Brazos Harbor Navigation District by J. Russell Wait, May 1, 1950 [cover title]. Houston: Alpha Law Brief Co., 1950.  199 [1, blank] pp., maps, drawings, tables, and charts, photograph. 4to, original green buckram. Fine aside from a little light shelf wear.
Not in CBC. $65
238. AGRICULTURAL AND MECHANICAL COLLEGE OF TEXAS. Bulletin of Information, Session 1925-26. [College Station]: Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas, 1925. 44 pp., photographic illustrations. 8vo, original color pictorial wrappers, stapled. Wraps lightly shelf-worn and foxed, otherwise near fine.
Bulletin of the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas, third series, Vol. 11, No. 3. Provides general information concerning educational objectives, admission, and courses of study. $20
239. AGRICULTURAL AND MECHANICAL COLLEGE OF TEXAS. Fifteenth Annual Rodeo and Pageant of A. and M. College. N.p., 1933.  pp., ads. 8vo, original cream pictorial wrappers, stapled. Wraps with light wear and insect damage and a few spots and stains, text browned, overall very good. $25
240. NANCE, Joseph Milton. The Early History of Bryan and the Surrounding Area. N.p.: Hood’s Brigade-Bryan Centennial Committee, 1962.  pp., maps, photographs, ads. 4to, original white pictorial wrappers. Foxing and some light wear to wraps, occasional scattered foxing to text, else near fine. Unsigned presentation inscription in ink on title page, manuscript annotation to p.  in same hand.
First edition. CBC 632. $40
241. PERRY, George Sessions. The Story of Texas A and M. New York, Toronto, and London: McGraw-Hill, 1951. xiv  264 pp., 32 plates, photographic endpapers. 8vo, original red cloth. A bit of foxing to edges, endpapers browned, light foxing to plates and adjacent pages, otherwise very good in lightly worn d.j. with sunned and water-stained spine.
First edition. CBC 633. TC 280. $15
242. TEXAS STATEWIDE RECORDS PROJECT. Index to Probate Cases of Texas. No. 21. Brazos County, April 26, 1841-March 1, 1939. San Antonio: State-wide Records Indexing and Inventory Program, 1941. iv  pp., 49 folios, map. 4to, original blue printed wrappers with black cloth backstrip. Fine.
First edition. CBC 629. $15
243. CASEY, Clifford B. Mirages, Mysteries, and Reality. Brewster County Texas: The Big Bend of the Rio Grande. Hereford: Pioneer Book Publishers, 1972. x, 485  pp., map, illustrations by Ron Reynolds, photographs. 4to, original lime green pictorial cloth. Very fine.
Limited edition (un-numbered copy of 1,500). TC 294. TLH, p. 9. $100
244. COFFIN, Edwin F. Archaeological Exploration of a Rock Shelter in Brewster County, Texas. New York: Museum of the American Indian, 1932. xii, 72 pp., folding map, photographic illustrations. 16mo, original tan printed wrappers. Fine aside from light abrasion to spine.
First edition. CBC 650. Rader 865. Published as Indian Notes and Monographs No. 48. $35
245. DAVIS MOUNTAIN FEDERATION OF WOMEN’S CLUBS. The Big Bend of Texas [wrapper title]. [Brooklyn: Albertype, ca. 1928].  pp., numerous sepia-tone photogravures. Oblong 16mo, original cream printed wrappers with photograph of Fort Davis on upper wrapper, map on lower wrapper, string tie. Very fine, sealed in original mailing envelope. Very scarce.
First edition. CBC 647, 2600, 3771. Dobie, Big Bend Bibliography, p. 6. According to the preface, the prime mover behind this project was Mrs. O. L. Shipman (see BTB 184 and Herd 2062 & 2063). This superb guidebook contains descriptive text and excellent photogravures, including Gage Hotel, Rancho Valle la Cienega (“the first dude ranch ever established in Texas”), Brite Ranch, Jones Ranch, Fort Stockton, Alpine, Presidio-Ojinaga, and other landmarks of the region. A photogravure is a photographic image produced from an engraving plate. The process, which was introduced in the mid-nineteenth century, is rarely used today due to the very high cost. Photogravure prints have the subtlety of a photograph and the art quality of a lithograph. $400
246. GLASSCOCK, Mr. & Mrs., James W. (publishers). Brewster County Diamond Jubilee, 1887-1962. Alpine, 1962. 1B-8B, 1C-8C, 1D-16D, 1E-16E, 1F-16F pp., photographic illustrations, ads. Folio, original white pictorial wrappers printed in blue and red, stapled. Fragile wraps browned and with small chips and tears to edges and spine, text browned due to poor-quality newsprint stock, overall very good.
First edition. CBC 644. Published as The Alpine Avalanche 70:39 (June 28, 1962). $25
247. McCARTY, F.M. A Guide to Big Bend Country and Chihuahua al Pacifico: A Dream Come True. Amarillo: F.M. McCarty, 1968.  1-63  1-63  pp., maps, many photographic illustrations in color. 8vo, original tan cloth. Fine in lightly worn color pictorial d.j.
Reprint edition of two books by author in one binding. $15
248. [PHOTOGRAPHY]. [BIG BEND]. 27 gelatin silver prints of scenery in the Big Bend area including the Chisos Mountains, Rio Grande, and Boquillas and Santa Elena Canyons. Most prints approximately 27 x 16 cm, with a few larger prints. N.p., n.d. [ca. 1937]. Prints affixed to 36 x 55 cm sheets of heavy red paper bordered with brown paper tape, with stab holes along left edge, probably formerly bound together in album form. Top sheet with 4 impressions of rubber ink stamp of Benjamin Franklin Berkeley, and inscribed “Alpine, Texas, 1937” in two places in ink at top of sheet, many photos labeled in ink in blank margin or adjacent area of sheet. Damp staining to top sheet and affixed images, some photographs faded, yellowed, and/or exhibiting silver mirroring, one print with a few tears and cracks, most prints in good condition. $250
249. Brooks County Golden Fiesta, July 1-2-3-4, 1961, Falfurrias, Texas [wrapper title]. N.p., 1961.  pp., photographic illustrations, ads. 4to, original yellow pictorial wrappers printed in green. A little light wear, foxing, and faint staining to wraps, otherwise fine.
First edition. CBC 672. $25
250. [FALFURRIAS, TEXAS]. Three items folded into printed mailing envelope labeled “Facts from Falfurrias, Texas, the Land of ‘Heart’s Delight’”:
1. JOHN, Herbert F. “A Model Agricultural Community”. Reprint from The American Monthly Illustrated Review of Reviews XXXIII:193 (February, 1906). 33-36 pp., photographic illustrations. 8vo, folded into original white wrappers printed in green and red. Wraps browned, wraps and text with chip to margin (not affecting text.), creased where folded for mailing.
2. FALFURRIAS IMMIGRATION CO. Falfurrias, “The Land of Heart’s Delight” in Semi-Tropical South Texas. Falfurrias: Falfurrias Immigration Co., n.d.  pp., map, photographic illustrations. 8vo, folded sheet. Creased where folded, small tear, otherwise fine.
CBC 768. Promotional item for agriculture in Falfurrias.
3. More Facts from Falfurrias, Reprinted from Falfurrias Fasts of July 12, 1906. Falfurrias: Falfurrias Immigration Co., n.d. Broadside: 40.2 x 14.3 cm. Creased where folded, browned with a few chips to blank margins, otherwise fine. $40
DSRB Home | e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright Dorothy Sloan 2011