Copyright 2000-2017 by Dorothy Sloan-Rare Books Inc. for all materials on this site. All rights reserved, including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form.
Texas County and Local History
The items in this catalogue have been sold. This catalogue was issued in 2011, and is presented in full on our website as a courtesy to users and for reference purposes.
251. HAVINS, T. R. Something about Brown (A History of Brown County, Texas). Brownwood: Banner Printing, 1958.  208 pp., 8 plates. 8vo, original burnt orange cloth. Slight foxing to edges and endpapers, else fine in lightly worn d.j.
First edition. CBC 706. Guns 945. TC 313. $35
252. BROWN COUNTY CENTENNIAL ASSOCIATION. Memories: Brown County, 1856-1956, Official Centennial Program [wrapper title]. N.p., Brown County Centennial Association, 1956. 52 pp., photographic illustrations, ads. 4to, original light blue pictorial wrappers, stapled. Wraps browned and lightly worn, with a few light creases,. Light foxing to edges and adjacent to wraps, otherwise very good.
Not in CBC. $15
253. SMITH, Tevis Clyde. Frontier’s Generation: The Pioneer History of Brown County with Sidelights on the Surrounding Territory. Brownwood: Greenwood Press for the author, 1931.  63 [1, blank] pp., frontispiece, 2 plates, photographic illustrations, ads. 8vo, original tan printed wrappers. Fine.
First edition. CBC 718. Herd 2100. TC 309. TLH, p. 9 (referring to later reprint edition). $30
254. SMITH, T[evis] C[lyde], Jr. Pecan Valley Days. Brownwood: T.C. Smith, 1956. 69 [1, blank] pp., photographic illustrations, ads. 8vo, original textured grey printed wrappers. Small stains to lower wrap, a few scattered fox-marks to text, otherwise fine.
First edition. CBC 720. TC 311. $20
255. TEXAS HISTORICAL RECORDS SURVEY. Inventory of the County Archives of Texas...No. 25: Brown County (Brownwood). San Antonio: Texas Historical Records Survey, 1940.  147 [1, blank] pp., map. 4to, original blue printed wrappers with black cloth backstrip. Fine.
First edition. CBC 710. $15
256. TEXAS STATEWIDE RECORDS PROJECT. Index to Probate Cases of Texas. No. 25: Brown County, November 19, 1878-November 7, 1938. San Antonio: State-wide Records Indexing and Inventory Program, 1941. v  81 [1, blank] pp., map. 4to, original blue printed wrappers with black cloth backstrip. Fine.
First edition. Not in CBC. $15
257. WHITE, James C. The Promised Land: A History of Brown County, Texas. Brownwood: Brownwood Banner, 1941. 123 [1, blank] pp. 12mo, original orange pictorial wrappers. Light insect damage to upper wrap, A little foxing to edges and pages adjacent to wraps, otherwise near fine.
First edition. CBC 721. Herd 2504: “Scarce.” TC 311. TLH, p. 9. $55
258. ADDISON, M.H. Reminiscences of Burleson County, Texas [wrapper title]. Caldwell: Caldwell Printing Company, 1971. 48 pp. 12mo, blue printed wrappers. Fine.
Second edition. Facsimile reprint. CBC 723n. $25
259. BURLESON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY. Astride the Old San Antonio Road: A History of Burleson County, Texas. Dallas: Taylor, 1979. 524  pp., many photographic illustrations, endpaper maps. 4to, original gilt and embossed pictorial brown cloth. A little foxing to edges, otherwise fine.
TLH, p. 10 (gives date of 1980) $50
260. DEBO, Darrell. Burnet County History: A Pioneer History, 1847-1979. Burnet: Eakin Press, 1979. x, 390 + vi, 354 pp., photographic illustrations, vol. 1 with endpaper maps. 2 vols., 4to, original red cloth gilt. Vol. 1 with one corner bumped, some foxing to edges and first few leaves, and small tear to front free endpaper. Vol. 2 with foxing to edges. Overall a fine set in d.j.’s (vol. 1 with a little wear, tiny area of insect damage, and a few small stains).
First edition. TC 317. TLH, p. 10. $85
261. JOHNSON, A.R. Homes in Texas. Two Hundred Thousand Acres of Valuable Land for Sale.... Burnet: A.R. Johnson, n.d. 7 [1, ad.] pp. 8vo, original bluish grey pictorial wrappers, stapled. Wraps lightly worn, browned, and with a few water spots and slight insect damage, text lightly age-toned, overall very good.
Pamphlet listing land for sale in Burnet County by A.R. Johnson, general land and loan agent. $85
262. THE HIGHLANDER. 100 Pages of Marble Falls History, 1887-1987: Special Centennial Edition of the Highlander [wrapper title]. Marble Falls, 1987. 108 pp., photographic illustrations, ads (wrappers included in pagination). Folio, original color pictorial wrappers, stapled. Wraps lightly worn, browned, and sunned, text age-toned. $25
263. BAILEY, R.E. The Newsboy Goes to Press. Luling: Luling Newsboy, 1945. 232, viii pp. 8vo, original grey cloth. Binding lightly shelf worn and foxed, small circular stain on front cover, edges and endpapers foxed, text browned due to poor quality paper, otherwise very good.
Not in CBC. $45
264. FOREE, Kenneth, Jr. Citizen of Luling [wrapper title]. N.p.: Magnolia Petroleum Company, 1947. 12 pp. 8vo, original white pictorial wrappers. Light foxing to wraps, otherwise fine.
Not in CBC. Small booklet honoring Luling oilman Edgar B. Davis (see Handbook of Texas Online: Davis, Edgar Byram). $20
265. HUFF BRIDGES, Anne C. Do You Remember? Early Days in Luling, Texas by a Pioneer Citizen (Anne C. Huff Bridges), with Corrections and Some Additions by Her Daughter, Mary Louise Bridges Witt. N.p., 1967. 59  pp. 8vo, original blue printed wrappers, stapled. Fine. Signed and dated Mary Louise Bridges Witt, 1969 on title page verso.
First edition thus. Originally published anonymously in serial form in The Luling Signal, 1945. TC 326. $30
266. HUFF BRIDGES, Anne C. Do You Remember? Early Days in Luling, Texas by a Pioneer Citizen (Anne C. Huff Bridges), with Corrections and Some Additions by Her Daughter, Mary Louise Bridges Witt. N.p., 1967. Another copy, not signed. Fine. $25
267. KING, Onita Gambrell. The History of the First Methodist Church, Lockhart, Texas. Lockhart: Board of Stewards of the First Methodist Church, 1953. x, 50 pp, photographic illustrations. 8vo, original light blue printed wrappers, stapled. Wraps with light shelf wear and a little foxing and insect damage, flyleaf foxed, otherwise very good.
Not in CBC. TC 328. $40
268. LOCKHART CHAMBER OF COMMERCE. Lockhart: A Great Place to Live [wrapper title]. Lockhart: Chamber of Commerce, n.d. (ca. 1970s). 12 pp., illustrations. 8vo, original pictorial self-wrappers, stapled. Very fine.
Promotional pamphlet for Lockhart, touting its virtues as a place to live. $5
269. LOCKHART CHAMBER OF COMMERCE. Lockhart and Caldwell County, Home of the Chisolm Trail Roundup and Battle of Plum Creek. An All America City. Lockhart: Chamber of Commerce, n.d. (ca. 1980s). Map, photographic illustrations. 8vo, folding pamphlet printed in color. Very fine.
Pamphlet with street map and city information. $5
270. Lockhart Post-Register. Thursday, November 5, 1970. 16 pp., photographic illustrations, map, ads. Folio, unbound folded sheets. Paper browned, otherwise fine. With Dudley R. Dobie’s ink annotations.
Issue of newspaper focusing on the impact of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad in Lockhart. $15
271. LULING, TEXAS. Facts and Figures of Luling, Caldwell County, Texas, U.S.A., Where Nature is Peculiarly Generous in Natural Advantages. N.p., n.d. (ca. 1930). Folded pamphlet: Folded: 15.5 x 8 cm; Open: 15.5 x 32 cm. Map and photographic illustrations. Slight insect damage to one corner, a little browning and soiling, otherwise very good.
Not in CBC. Small promotional pamphlet for Luling, Texas, including the Luling oil field and area agriculture. $25
272. LULING CHAMBER OF COMMERCE. Come to Luling, Where Nature Is Exceptionally Generous [wrapper title]. Luling: Chamber of Commerce, n.d. (ca. 1940).  pp., numerous photographic illustrations. Oblong 8vo, original white pictorial self-wrappers. Very fine.
Not in CBC. Promotional pamphlet attempting to attract businesses to Luling. $20
273. LULING HIGH SCHOOL. You Are Invited to Attend the Commencement Exercises of the Luling High School, April 22nd, 1902, 8:30 p.m. N.p., 1902.  folios, text printed in black and red on grey paper. 16mo, original dark grey printed wrappers tied with pink silk ribbon. Fine, in original dark grey envelope matching wrappers.
Includes programme and list of graduates. $55
274. LULING METHODIST CHURCH. Dedication and Golden Jubilee, 1880-1930, Luling Methodist Church, November Thirtieth–December Seventh, Luling, Texas. N.p., 1930.  pp., photographic illustration. 8vo, unbound folded sheet. A few scattered fox-marks, list of former pastors with additions in ink and pencil through 1940, otherwise very good. $25
275. Souvenir Edition: Luling Silver Anniversary Oil Jubilee. Luling, 1947.  pp., photographic illustrations, ads. Folio, unbound folded newsprint sheets. First 4 pages trimmed incorrectly and do not open, text browned, overall very good.
Not in CBC. $20
DSRB Home | e-mail: email@example.com
Copyright Dorothy Sloan 2011