Copyright 2000-2017 by Dorothy Sloan-Rare Books Inc. for all materials on this site. All rights reserved, including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form.
Texas County and Local History
The items in this catalogue have been sold. This catalogue was issued in 2011, and is presented in full on our website as a courtesy to users and for reference purposes.
301. ROACH, Hattie Joplin. The Hills of Cherokee...Historical Sketches of Life in Cherokee County (Texas). N.p., 1952. viii, 219 [1, blank] pp., frontispiece, folding map of Rusk townsite, 17 plates, errata affixed to rear free endpaper. 8vo, original brown cloth gilt. Slight insect damage to binding, bottom corners lightly bumped, a little foxing to edges and adjacent to plates, otherwise very good.
First edition. CBC 926. $60
302. ROACH, Hattie Joplin. A History of Cherokee County (Texas). Dallas: Southwest Press, 1934.  178 pp., folding map of Rusk townsite, 12 plates. 8vo, original green textured cloth gilt. Binding lightly shelf-worn, edges foxed, endpapers browned, foxing adjacent to plates, otherwise very good in poor d.j. (chipped and torn, spine browned, insect damage to lower panel)
First edition. CBC 927. $100
303. ORD, Susie, Verdel Davis & D.O. Nash (compilers). They Followed the Rails: In Retrospect, A History of Childress County.... Childress: Childress Reporter, 1970. 432 pp., numerous illustrations (mostly photographic). 4to, original green pictorial cloth gilt. Spine a bit dark, gilt dull, edges and endpapers foxed, otherwise very good.
TC 380 $30
304. EARLE, J.P. History of Clay County and Northwest Texas. Austin: Brick Row Book Shop, 1963.  64  pp, photographic illustrations. 8vo, original light blue pictorial wrappers, stapled. Fine aside from a little browning to wraps.
Limited edition (300 copies). CBC 953b. Guns 658, Herd 737, Howes E7 (referring to 1900 edition). $30
305. EARLE, J.P. History of Clay County and Northwest Texas. N.p., n.d.  64  folios (leaves printed alternately on recto and verso), illustrations. 8vo, burnt orange cloth. Binding cloth with mild to moderate insect damage, edges and endpapers foxed, otherwise very good.
Bound photostatic copy of 1900 edition. $10
306. KIMBROUGH, William Clayton. A History of Clay County. A Thesis Presented to the Faculty of the Graduate School, Hardin-Simmons University. N.p, 1942. viii  161 folios, maps, charts. 4to, mimeographed sheets in brown paperboard covers tied with brown cord. $35
307. [MAP]. TEXAS. GENERAL LAND OFFICE. Map of Clay County. [below title] I, W.C. Walsh, Commissioner General Land Office State of Texas certify this to be a true and correct copy of the map now in use in this office and Compiled from official data. Austin Feb 1880. [facsimile signature] W.C. Walsh [top right] Copyright 1879. Wm C Walsh Commissioner General Land Office State of Texas [lower left above neat line] Lithographed by August Gast & CoS New Process. St Louis. St. Louis: Gast, 1879. Uncolored lithograph map mounted on poster board, neat line to neat line: 73.5 x 43.2 cm; overall sheet size: 78 x 47 cm. Minor spotting and loss, not affecting image. $450
308. TAYLOR, William Charles. A History of Clay County. Austin: Jenkins Publishing Company; New York: Pemberton Press, 1972. xii  168 pp., 23 plates. 8vo, original orange cloth. 2 cm split in upper joint, endpapers foxed, otherwise very good in lightly rubbed d.j. with a few spots and one short tear.
First edition. TC 382. TLH, p. 14. $40
309. FLEMING, Elvis Eugene. Texas’ Last Frontier: A History of Cochran County, Texas. Morton: Cochran County Historical Society, 1965.  i [1, blank] ii  94 pp., photographic illustrations. 8vo, original green printed wrappers, stapled, glassine endpapers. Spine light with a small amount of shelf wear, staples slightly rusted, otherwise very good. Signed by author on title page. $30
310. BRUCE, Leona. They Came In Peace to Coleman County. Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1970. vii [1, blank] 101 [1, blank] pp., map. 8vo, original white printed wrappers. Wrappers foxed, otherwise very good. Signed by author on half title and dated March, 1972. Ad for author’s publication Banister was There! laid in with manuscript letter in ink from author on verso mentioning an alternate hardcover binding and that due to printing costs she cannot offer her customary discount to dealers.
TC 396. $60
311. BRUCE, Leona Banister. Trickham, Texas: A Neighborly Chronicle. Salado: Anson Jones Press, 1966.  128 pp., photographic illustrations, endpaper maps. 4to, original white and green pictorial cloth. Binding lightly rubbed with a few small spots, boards slightly warped, tape stains on endpapers, otherwise very good. Signed by author on title page verso.
Limited edition (unstated number). TC 397. $90
312. COLEMAN CHAMBER OF COMMERCE. Coleman: Coming Central City. Coleman: Chamber of Commerce, n.d. Folding pamphlet printed on blue paper: Folded: 20.3 x 9.6 cm; Open: 20.3 x 81.2 cm. Browned and rubbed, splitting along folds, overall good but fragile condition.
Not in CBC. Promotional pamphlet for Coleman with attractive illustration printed in red and black on front panel and map of surrounding area. $20
313. GAY, Beatrice Grady. Into the Setting Sun: A History of Coleman County. [Santa Anna Texas, 1936]. x, 193 [1, blank] pp., map, illustrations. 8vo, original brown pictorial cloth. Binding lightly shelf-worn, edges a bit foxed, endpapers browned, otherwise near fine. Signed by author and dated October, 1936 on dedication page. Ms. correction in ink to p. 7. Mimeographed leaf of criticism by Col. M.L. Crimmens tipped onto front free endpaper.
First edition. CBC 987. Guns 817: “Scarce.” Herd 887. TC 393. Title page refers to frontispiece of Santa Anna Mountain, not present. $60
314. HUNTER, Gladys Nevins. Historically Speaking: Coleman County, Texas. San Angelo: Anchor Publishing, 1977. 149  pp., maps, many photographic illustrations. 8vo, original red cloth gilt. Very good. Signed by author on front free endpaper.
TC 392 $50
315. TEXAS STATEWIDE RECORDS PROJECT. Index to Probate Cases of Texas. No. 42. Coleman County, August 17, 1876–January 4, 1939. San Antonio: State-wide Records Project, 1940.  40 pp., map. 4to, original blue printed wrappers with black cloth backstrip. A little foxing to margins of wraps and edges, otherwise fine.
First edition. CBC 998. $15
316. MUSE, James M. Prehistoric History of Collin County. McKinney: Examiner Print, 1923.  69  pp. 16mo, original brown printed wrappers, stapled. Fine.
First edition. CBC 1023. $75
317. STAMBAUGH, J. Lee & Lillian J. Stambaugh. A History of Collin County, Texas. Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1958. x, 303 [1, blank] pp., frontispiece, 2 plates, endpaper maps. 8vo, original light grey pictorial cloth. Fine in d.j.
First edition. CBC 1026. Guns 2087. TC 401. $100
318. WELLINGTON LEADER. A History of Collingsworth County and Other Stories by the Staff of the Wellington Leader. Wellington: Leader Printing, 1925. xxii, 234 pp., illustrations, ads. 12mo, original brown pictorial wrappers. Spine and edges of wraps rubbed, otherwise near fine.
First edition. CBC 1032. Adams, Herd 2255: “Cloth. Scarce.... Also published in stiff pict. Wrappers.” $275
319. COLORADO COUNTY CITIZEN. Columbus, Texas, “The City of Live Oaks and Live Folks” [wrapper title]. Columbus: Colorado County Citizen, 1935. 22  pp., photographic illustrations. Narrow 8vo, original orange pictorial wrappers, stapled. Fine other than slight sunning to wraps.
Not in CBC. Small promotional pamphlet with two page business directory at end. $25
320. COLUMBUS SESQUICENTENNIAL, INC. Columbus, Texas Sesquicentennial, 1823-1973. N.p.: Columbus Centennial, Inc., 1973. 49  pp., maps, illustrations (mostly photographic). 4to, original color pictorial wrappers. Fine.
First edition. TC 406. TLH, p. 16. $10
321. [MAP]. TEXAS. GENERAL LAND OFFICE. Map of Colorado County [below title and scale] I, W.C. Walsh, Commissioner General Land Office State of Texas, certify this to be a true and correct copy of the map now in use in this office and compiled from official data. August March 16th 1880 [facsimile signature] W.C. Walsh [lower center above neat line] Lithographed by August Gast & Cos New Process, St. Louis [lower right above neat line] Copyrigh [sic] 1879. Wm C Walsh Commissioner General Land Office State of Texas. St. Louis: Gast, 1879. Uncolored lithograph map mounted on poster board, neat line to neat line: 54.9 x 52.8 cm; overall sheet size: 60 x 54.2 cm. Map sheet browned and foxed, small chip to bottom right blank corner of map sheet. $475
322. REESE, John Walter & Lillian Estelle Reese. Flaming Feuds of Colorado County. Salado: Anson Jones Press, 1962. 169  pp., photographic illustrations. 8vo, original white and green pictorial cloth. Binding lightly rubbed, tape stains to endpapers, otherwise very good, uncut. Signed by Lillian Estelle Reese on title page verso and dated May 20, 1962.
First edition, limited edition (unstated number), large paper issue. CBC 1046. Guns 1832: “A good account of the Reese-Townsend feud and other lawlessness in Colorado County, Texas.” TC 407. TLH, p. 16. $45
323. REESE, John Walter & Lillian Estelle Reese. Flaming Feuds of Colorado County. Salado: Anson Jones Press, 1962. Another copy, variant binding (smaller paper), not signed. 8vo, original white and green pictorial cloth. Spine sunned few fox-marks to cover and rear endpapers, otherwise very good, interior pristine.
First edition, limited edition (unstated number) $35
324. SHATTO, Mrs. Preston K. A History of Columbus, Texas: Research on the History of Columbus, Texas. Done for the Purpose of Establishing that Columbus is the Oldest Anglo-American Town in Texas. Lubbock: Bill Luck, 1977.  pp., maps, facsimiles. 4to, original brown wood-patterned boards gilt. Binding lightly shelf-worn, gilt dull, else near fine. $35
325. TEXAS FIRE INSURANCE DEPARTMENT, BOARD OF INSURANCE COMMISSIONERS. Specific Schedule of Fire Insurance Rates for Garwood, Colorado County, Texas. Austin: Texas Fire Insurance Department, Board of Insurance Commissioners, 1938. 23 folios. 12mo, original grey paperboard binder with brad fasteners. Covers browned and lightly worn and soiled, a little insect damage to title page, overall good. Correspondence regarding rates and many sheets of supplementary material laid in. $25
DSRB Home | e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright Dorothy Sloan 2011