Copyright 2000-2015 by Dorothy Sloan-Rare Books Inc. for all materials on this site. All rights reserved, including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form.
Texas County and Local History
The items in this catalogue have been sold. This catalogue was issued in 2011, and is presented in full on our website as a courtesy to users and for reference purposes.
351. SMITH, A. Morton. Twelve Years of Trouping: Routes, Personnel, Programs and a Brief History of the Internationally Famous Gainesville Community Circus, 1930-1941. Gainesville: Cecil H. Tinsley & A. Morton Smith, 1944. 112 pp., photographic illustrations. 16mo, original navy blue cloth lettered in silver. Very fine.
Not in CBC. $75
352. BLANCHARD, Elma Powell. History of the Progress and Problems of Journalism in Coryell County. Gatesville: Stanley Edwards Press, 1976. x, 33 [1, blank] pp. 8vo, original violet printed wrappers, stapled. Fine other than browning to margins of wraps.
TC 452. $35
353. BROWN, Robert W. Stories by Robert W. Brown, A Country Lawyer. Compiled and Edited by Rhonda F. Mohler. Gatesville: Gatesville Printing, 1980.  62  pp., photographic illustrations. 8vo, original brown printed wrappers. Aside from slight wear to wraps, fine. $25
354. FREEMAN, Cecil E. History of Pearl, Texas. Copperas Cove: Freeman Printing Plant, n.d. (ca. 1969). 76 pp., photographic illustrations. 8vo, original navy blue cloth gilt. Spine lightly shelf-worn and a bit light, tape stain to front endpaper, otherwise fine. Two related news clippings laid in, including one dated June 11, 1969, announcing publication of the book.
First edition. TC 450. TLH, p. 18. $20
355. [MAP]. TEXAS. GENERAL LAND OFFICE. Coryell County Texas [lower left] I, W.C. Walsh, Commissioner of the General Land Office do certify that the above Map of Coryell County is a true and correct copy of the Map now in use this Office, compiled from official data. [lower left above neat line] Lithographed by A. Gast & Co. St. Louis & N.Y. New Process [lower right above neat line] Copyright 1879. W.C. Walsh, Commissioner of the Genl Land Office of the State Texas. St. Louis & New York: Gast, 1879. Uncolored lithograph map mounted on poster board, overall sheet size: 61.4 x 58.4 cm (trimmed at left and right with loss of left neat line). A few scattered spots and stains, small amount of insect damage to blank areas near bottom and right edges of sheet. $400
356. MEARS, Mildred Watkins. Coryell County Scrapbook. Waco: Texian Press, 1963. xii, 253 [1, blank] pp., frontispiece, 40 plates. 8vo, original blue cloth gilt. Binding with slight shelf wear, edges foxed, tape stains to endpapers, else very good in d.j. (a few spots and smudges, 3 cm tear on lower panel near spine).
First edition. CBC 1146. $60
357. SCOTT, Zelma. A History of Coryell County, Texas. Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1965. xviii, 278 pp., frontispiece, 33 plates, endpaper maps. 8vo, original white pictorial cloth. Binding, edges, and pages adjacent to frontispiece with a few scattered fox-marks, otherwise near fine in d.j. (light wear, spine slightly browned).
First edition. Not in CBC. TC 448. TLH, p. 18. Foreword by H. Bailey Carroll. Texas County and Local History Series volume 4. $25
358. SIMMONS, Frank E. History of Coryell County. N.p.: Coryell County News, 1936.  102 pp. 12mo, original brown pictorial wrappers, stapled. Fine
First edition, “Centennial edition.” CBC 1153. Guns 2021 (gives publication date of 1935). Herd 2067. TC 447. $100
359. THARP, Laura A. Facts & Anecdotes of Turnersville, Texas. Waco: Texian Press, 1973. xii, 227  pp., photographic illustrations. 8vo, original green pictorial cloth. Fine. Signed by author beneath her portrait on p. .
First edition. TC 446. TLH, p. 18. $25
360. BENNETT, Carmen Taylor. Our Roots Grow Deep: A History of Cottle County. Floydada: Blanco Offset Printing, 1970.  214 pp., map, many photographic illustrations. 4to, original blue pictorial boards. Binding lightly shelf-worn and browned with a few spots, corners bumped, edges foxed, otherwise very good.
First edition. TC 457. TLH, p. 18. $75
361. BOSWORTH, Allan R. Ozona Country. New York, Evanston & London: Harper & Row, 1964. xiv  238 pp., 16 plates. 8vo, original black cloth. Binding with powdery residue (possibly from deterioration of d.j.), otherwise very good in lightly worn d.j.
First edition. CBC 1168. TC 462. $15
362. CARSON, Mrs. Ira (compiler). Ozona. N.p., 1966. viii, 90 pp., 16 plates. 8vo, original tan pictorial wrappers. Fine other than a bit of foxing on and adjacent to plates. $30
363. PIERCE, Victor I. Yesteryear in Ozona and Crockett County. Ozona: Crockett County Historical Society, 1980.  137 [1, blank] pp., frontispiece, 28 plates, endpaper maps. 8vo, original brown pictorial cloth gilt. Fine in d.j. (spine lightly browned).
First edition. TLH, p. 19. $45
364. SPIKES, Nellie Witt & Temple Ann Ellis. Through the Years: A History of Crosby County, Texas. San Antonio: Naylor, 1952. xxix [1, blank] 493 [1, blank], 40 plates, inserted leaf with authors’ signatures, text illustrations of brands, errata affixed to p. xi. 8vo, original red cloth. Edges slightly foxed, text browned adjacent to plates, otherwise fine in lightly rubbed dj with sunned spine. Signed by both authors and dated August 20, 1952 on inserted “Premiere Edition” leaf.
First edition. CBC 1193. Herd 2133. TC 466. $100
365. WYLIE, Rosa Lee. History of Van Horn and Culberson County, Texas. Hereford: Pioneer Book Publishers, 1973. vii, 184 pp., many illustrations (mostly photographic). 4to, original yellow pictorial cloth. Light shelf wear, binding and edges foxed, otherwise very good.
First edition. CBC, p. 19. TC 467. $30
366. ACHESON, Sam. Dallas Yesterday. Dallas: Southern Methodist University Press, 1977. xxii, 403 [1, blank] pp., frontispiece portrait on half title verso (included in pagination). 8vo, original brown cloth gilt. Fine in worn d.j. (spine sunned, large chip on upper panel).
First edition. TC 489. TLH, p. 20. $20
367. AMERICAN ILLUSTRATING COMPANY. Greater Dallas Illustrated.... Dallas: American Illustrating Company, n.d. (ca. 1905).  38-175 [1, blank] pp., many photographic illustrations. Oblong small 4to, original grey wraps printed in black, red, and yellow. Poor condition, brittle wraps detached, wraps and text worn and water-stained.
First edition. CBC 1255: “Early business history.” $25
368. BARNEY, Robert Owen. The Romantic Story of Dallas: From Buckskins to Top Hat! N.p., 1948.  pp., cartoon illustrations by Bill McClanahan. 8vo, original white pictorial wrappers printed in black and red. Spine faded, moderate wear and soiling to fragile wraps, overall very good.
First edition. CBC 1215. $30
369. BECKETT, Hazael Williams. Growing Up in Dallas. Austin: Wind River Press for New Hope Press, 1985.  304  pp., frontispiece portrait on half-title verso, 32 plates, endpapers with map and genealogical chart. Small 4to, original half blue cloth over brown pictorial boards, printed label on spine. Spine a bit light, top margin of upper cover sunned, faint stain to edges, otherwise near fine.
Limited edition (One of 500 copies designed by the Holman family and printed at Wind River Press by David Holman). $40
370. BROWN, John Henry. History of Dallas County, Texas: From 1837 to 1887. Dallas: Milligan, Cornett & Farnham, 1887. 114  pp. 12mo, original yellow printed wrappers. Lower wrap with some staining, minor marginal chipping, and detached, price on upper wrap obliterated, interior fine.
First edition. CBC 1218. Howes B855: “John H. Cochran issued what he called a supplement to this, Dallas 1928, in an octavo volume of 296 pages” (see item # in this catalogue). Rader 512. Raines 31: “With special reference to pioneer settlers.” TC 500, TLH, p. 20 (both referring to 1966 reprint edition). Vandale 20. A basic source on the history of Dallas. The author-historian moved to Dallas in 1871 and served as mayor and legislator. $225
371. BROWN, John Henry. History of Dallas County, Texas: From 1837 to 1887. Dallas: Milligan, Cornett & Farnham, 1887. Another copy, variant wrappers. 12mo, original pink printed wrappers. Wraps lightly worn and faded with some chipping to spine and margins, a few spots to wraps and edges, interior fine. $225
372. BROWN, John Henry. History of Dallas County, Texas: From 1837 to 1887. Dallas: Milligan, Cornett & Farnham, 1887. Another copy, variant wrappers with ornamental border. 12mo, original pink printed wrappers. Fragile wraps lightly worn and faded, spine chipped, some spotting to upper wrap and edges, interior fine. $225
373. BUREAU OF MUNICIPAL RESEARCH, THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS. An Analysis of Ad Valorem Property Tax Bases in Dallas. Austin: University of Texas Press, 1941. 83 [1, blank] pp. 8vo, original blue and white pictorial wrappers. Wraps foxed, “Dallas” underlined in red pencil on upper wrap, otherwise very good. Card laid in, “With compliments of the Bureau of Municipal Research.” $25
374. COCHRAN, John H. Dallas County: A Record of its Pioneers and Progress, being a Supplement to John Henry Brown’s History of Dallas County (1887) with Correction of Some Errors Contained Therein, and Much Additional Information about Early Settlers and their Families. Dallas: Arthur S. Mathis, Service Publishing Co., 1928. 296 pp., frontispiece portrait. 8vo, original maroon cloth gilt. Corners lightly bumped, otherwise near fine in lightly worn d.j.
First edition. CBC 1227. Rader 852. TC 483. TLH, p. 20 (referring to 1966 reprint edition). Also see Howes B855. $65
375. CIVIC FEDERATION OF DALLAS. Eleventh Annual Directory, 1928, Dallas Agencies for Civic and Social Progress and Promotion of Health and Education, and State Organizations and Boards. Dallas: Civic Federation of Dallas, 1928. 32 pp. 8vo, original white printed self-wrappers, stapled. Browned, small area of rodent damage to blank margin of last 6 leaves (not affecting text), otherwise very good. $20
DSRB Home | e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright Dorothy Sloan 2011