Texas County and Local History
The items in this catalogue have been sold. This catalogue was issued in 2011, and is presented in full on our website as a courtesy to users and for reference purposes.
476. WHITE, Owen. Out of the Desert: The Historical Romance of El Paso. El Paso: McMath, 1923.  442  pp., 9 photographic plates, photographic text illustrations. 8vo, original maroon cloth gilt. Slight shelf wear, spine lightly sunned, bottom corners bumped, tape stains to endpapers, otherwise very good
First edition. CBC 1600. Guns 2384: “Rare.... Mr. White’s first book and perhaps his best. It contains much material on the lawlessness of El Paso”. Howes W364. Rader 3640. White was at work on this book when Hertzog arrived at McMath in 1923. White’s office was in McMath’s building. $100
477. WHITE, Owen. Out of the Desert: The Historical Romance of El Paso. El Paso: McMath, 1924. 345 [1, blank] pp., photographic illustrations. 8vo, original maroon cloth with paper labels on spine and upper cover. Bottom edge of binding abraded with boards exposed, label on upper cover and edges lightly foxed, text browned, otherwise very good in chipped and browned d.j. Signed by author on half-title and dated El Paso, 1925.
Second edition of preceding item. Guns 2384: “Reprinted in 1924 with the same imprint in 345 pages, omitting the biographical and newspaper section.” Howes W364. TC 612. $65
478. WHITE, Owen P. Them Was the Days: From El Paso to Prohibition. New York: Minton, Balch, 1925.  235 [1, blank] pp., frontispiece and illustrations by Ross Santee. 8vo, original red pictorial cloth, top edge dyed green. Binding rubbed and soiled, with slight insect damage, edges and endpapers foxed, upper hinge and text block cracked in a few places (but holding), occasional soiling and marginal notes in pencil and ink to text, overall good condition.
First edition. Not in CBC. Guns 2386. Herd 2510. Dykes, Fifty Great Western Illustrators (Santee) 64. Kid 100. TC 625. $10
479. CITIZENS NATIONAL BANK. A History of Waxahachie, Texas and Citizens National Bank. Waxahachie, 1968. 48 pp., illustrations. Oblong 4to, original cream pictorial wrappers printed in purple and green. Fine aside from a few fox marks to lower wrap and last two leaves. $15
480. TEXAS PRESBYTERIAN COLLEGE. The Larkspur Volume III. Milford, 1910. 127  pp., illustrations (mostly photographic), ads. Narrow small folio, original blind-stamped green suede with suede tie. Covers worn, browned, 8x4 cm stain on upper cover, stains to endpapers, light browning to top margin of text, overall good.
College yearbook, “Published Annually by the Senior Class of Texas Presbyterian College, Milford, Texas”. $65
481. DAVIS, Edward Everett. The White Scourge. San Antonio: Naylor, 1940. x  196 pp., illustrations by Warren Hunter. 8vo, original green pictorial cloth, top edge dyed red. Lightly shelf-worn, binding, edges, and last page lightly foxed, otherwise very good in rubbed d.j. with several short tears.
First edition. CBC 1610. $10
482. [MAP]. TEXAS. GENERAL LAND OFFICE. Erath Co. Texas. [lower left] I, W.C. Walsh, Commissioner of the General Land Office, do hereby certify that this Map of Erath County is a true and correct copy of the Map now in use in this Office compiled from official data [facsimile signature] W.C. Walsh Commissioner. [lower left above neat line] Lithographed by A. Gast Co’s New Process. [lower right above neat line] Copyright 1879. W.C. Walsh, Commissioner of the Genl. Land Office of the State of Texas. St. Louis: Gast, 1879. Uncolored lithograph map mounted on poster board, neat line to neat line: 63.6 x 55.4 cm; overall sheet size: 70 x 57.5 cm. Light stains to borders, small tear to lower right hand corner (not affecting image). $425
483. SCHUETZ, Arden Jean & Wilma Jean Schuetz. People-Events and Erath County, Texas. Stephensville, 1972. 201 [1, blank] pp. 8vo, original black cloth gilt. Fine aside from browning to front endpapers and gift inscription on front free endpaper, in browned d.j. with a few chips, stains, and marks in ink, address labels affixed to flaps. News clipping laid in.
“First Revised Edition.” TC 635 (refers to 1970 edition with different pagination). $40
484. STEPHEN, Homer. The Frontier Postmasters. Dublin: Dublin Progress, 1952. 102 pp., photographic illustrations. 8vo, original grey pictorial wrappers, stapled. Wraps browned with small spot on upper wrap, first and final leaves browned, otherwise fine. Signed by author and dated 10/2/1952 on title page.
First edition. Not in CBC. TC 631. Biographical sketches of the postmasters of Erath County and vicinity. $45
485. STEPHEN, Homer. The Frontier Postmasters. Dublin: Dublin Progress, 1952. Another copy, not signed. Wraps lightly browned and appear to have been re-stapled, first and last leaves browned, otherwise fine. $35
486. STEPHEN, Homer. History of Erath County, Compiled and Published for the Benefit of Future Generations. Dublin: Dublin Progress, 1950. 48 pp., photographic illustrations. 8vo, original blue printed wrappers, stapled. Wraps browned with slight insect damage, title and last page foxed, otherwise very good.
First edition. CBC 1626. TC 633. $95
487. [STEPHENVILLE, TEXAS]. “Mine Eyes Have Seen”. Stephenville Centennial and Fall Fair, Stephenville, Tex. October 27-31 [wrapper title]. N.p., 1954. 60 pp., photographic illustrations, ads. 4to, original white pictorial wrappers printed in red, green, and black, stapled. Slight foxing to wraps, first and last pages browned, otherwise fine. $20
488. ST. ROMAIN, Lillian Schiller. Western Falls County. Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1951. ix [1, blank], 160 pp., frontispiece portrait on half title verso, maps, including folding map. 8vo, original grey cloth. Fine other than slight shelf wear and light foxing to endpapers, in lightly worn and foxed d.j.
First edition. CBC 1655. TC 644. $70
489. BONHAM HIGH SCHOOL. A History of Bonham, Texas. A Research Paper by American History Class of 1927-1928, Bonham High School, Revised and Enlarged by Class of 1928-1929. Dallas & Richardson: Harben-Spotts Co., . 83  pp., photographic illustrations. 8vo, original grey printed wrappers. Light wear to fragile wraps, one corner bumped, otherwise fine.
First edition. CBC 1665. $30
490. CARTER, W.A. History of Fannin County, Texas. History, Statistics, and Biographies. Business Cards, Etc. Bonham, Texas, 1885.  10-128 [16, ads] pp. 8vo, original brown cloth gilt and decorated in blind. Binding rubbed and spotted, corners bumped, title page in facsimile, text browned with occasional soiling, dog-earing and small tears, scattered notes in ink and pencil.
First edition. CBC 1661. Howes C199. TC 654, TLH, p. 26. (both referring to 1975 reprint). $1,000
491. HAY, Kenneth M. The Life and Influence of Charles Carlton, 1821-1902. N.p., n.d. (ca. 1939). 95  pp. 8vo, original blue cloth lettered in silver. Fine.
Not in CBC. Reprinting of author’s M.A. thesis. $25
492. HAY, Kenneth M. The Life and Influence of Charles Carlton, 1821-1902. N.p., n.d. (ca. 1939). Another copy, variant binding. 8vo, original red cloth. Spine slightly sunned, top corners bumped, otherwise near fine. $25
493. HODGE, Floyd Crandall. A History of Fannin County, Featuring Pioneer Families. Hereford: Pioneer Publishers, 1966. 267  pp., map, photographs, drawings. 4to, original green pictorial cloth gilt. Fine aside from slight shelf wear.
First edition. TC 653. $65
494. LUSK, R.M. Constantine Lodge No. 13. Ancient, Free, and Accepted Masons. Bonham: News Job Office, 1897. 84  pp. 12mo, original tan printed wrappers. Wraps browned, with a few fox-marks and small stains, and lightly worn (small chips at extremities of spine), a few fox-marks and one tiny chip to title page, otherwise near fine. Contemporary ink gift inscription dated 7-24-97 from A.R. Caldwell to B.A. McKinney on title page.
Not in CBC. History of Bonham, Texas Masonic lodge. $50
495. SAM RAYBURN LIBRARY. The Sam Rayburn Library, Bonham, Texas, Dedicated October 9, 1957. N.p., n.d. Folded pamphlet with photographic illustrations: Folded: 22.8 x 11.5 cm; Open: 22.8 x 46 cm. Fine aside from light, scattered foxing.
Small pamphlet describing the Sam Rayburn Library, in Bonham, Texas. $5
496. APPELT, Alton A. The Story of the Kreische Family, 1849-1952. Yoakum: Yoakum Herald-Times, 1967. 52 pp., photographic illustrations. 8vo, original yellow pictorial wrappers, stapled. Wraps sunned and lightly worn, a little foxing to edges and text, otherwise very good. $35
497. DUEWALL, L.A. The Story of Monument Hill. La Grange: La Grange Journal, 1956. 34 pp., photographic illustrations. 8vo, original cream pictorial wrappers, stapled. Wraps very lightly worn and soiled, otherwise fine.
First edition, second printing. CBC 1675. TC 680 (first printing), 681 (third printing). $15
498. GIESBER, Ruth. The Hanging Rope [wrapper title]. La Grange: La Grange Journal, 1969.  7 [1, blank pp.], photographic illustrations, diagram of scaffold, facsimile. 8vo, original grey pictorial wrappers stapled. Fine aside from rusting to staples. $20
499. KAPIK, Jane. Schulenberg: 100 Years on the Road, 1873-1973, with Brief Histories of Old Lyons and High Hill. Schulenberg: Schulenberg Centennial Committee, 1973. vii [1, blank], 161  pp., map, photographic illustrations. 8vo, original red pictorial cloth. Very fine in d.j. (spine sunned).
First edition. TC 678. TLH, p. 27. $40
500. LOTTO, F. Fayette County, Her History and Her People. Schulenberg, Texas, 1902. xvi, 424 pp., frontispiece (included in pagination), illustrations (mostly photographic), ads. 8vo, original green cloth gilt. Light wear to binding, endpapers browned and foxed, moisture damage to text and some mildew stains to inner blank margin, overall fair condition only.
First edition. CBC 1687. Howes L484. TC 667. TLH, p. 27 (referring to 1978 reprint). $125
DSRB Home | e-mail: email@example.com
Copyright Dorothy Sloan 2011