Copyright 2000-2015 by Dorothy Sloan-Rare Books Inc. for all materials on this site. All rights reserved, including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form.
Texas County and Local History
The items in this catalogue have been sold. This catalogue was issued in 2011, and is presented in full on our website as a courtesy to users and for reference purposes.
551. ROSENBERG LIBRARY. Henry Rosenberg: 1824-1893. Galveston: Rosenberg Library, 1918. xvi, 226  pp., frontispiece portrait, 52 plates, a few text illustrations. 8vo, original maroon cloth gilt, t.e.g. Binding moderately rubbed and soiled, corners bumped, front pastedown with ink stamped date of April 15, 1919, upper hinge starting, lower hinge cracked (but holding), frontispiece with torn tissue guard and offsetting onto title page, occasional scattered foxing to interior, pp. 195-204 pp. partially and carelessly opened, overall good. Separate printed sheet requesting copies of reviews and exchange matter from other libraries laid in.
Not in CBC. $40
552. SHERIDAN, Francis C. Galveston Island; Or, A Few Months off the Coast of Texas. The Journal of Francis C. Sheridan, 1839-1840. Austin: University of Texas Press, 1954. xvii  172 pp., frontispiece. 12mo, original yellow cloth, top edge dyed green. Fine in browned d.j. Signed by editor on half-title.
First edition. CBC 1854. TC 725. Edited by Willis W. Pratt. $25
553. SHERIDAN, Francis C. Galveston Island.... Austin: University of Texas Press, 1954. Another copy, not signed. Fine in lightly browned d.j. $20
554. SMITH, Ashbel. Yellow Fever in Galveston, Republic of Texas, 1839. An Account of the Great Epidemic.... Austin: University of Texas Press, 1951. xvii,  135 [1, blank] pp., frontispiece portrait. 8vo, original brown cloth, top edge dyed yellow. Edges and endpapers a bit foxed, otherwise fine in edge-worn and sunned d.j.
Reprint edition (originally published in Galveston, 1839). Not in CBC. TC 740. Edited by Chauncey D. Leake. $30
555. UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT GALVESTON. The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston: A Seventy-five Year History by the Faculty and Staff. Austin and London: University of Texas Press, 1967. xxii,  435 [1, blank] pp., color frontispiece, 1 color plate, photographic illustrations. 4to, original white cloth gilt. Upper cover mildew-stained, otherwise very good in somewhat worn dj (small tears to margin, upper panel abraded).
First edition. TC 740. TLH, p. 30. $15
556. WEEMS, John Edward. A Weekend in September. New York: Henry Holt and Company, 1957. x, 180 pp., 16 plates, endpaper maps. 8vo, original green cloth. Lightly shelf-worn, corners bumped, edges and endpapers foxed, small stain to blank margin of title page and adjacent leaves, otherwise very good in worn and sunned price-clipped d.j.
First edition. Not in CBC. TC 739. TLH 30 (referring to 1980 reprint). $5
557. WHEATON, Elizabeth Lee. Texas City Remembers. San Antonio: Naylor, 1948. xvi, 109 pp., 8 plates. 4to, original turquoise cloth. Binding lightly foxed, a few spots to top edge (not affecting text), lower hinge cracked (but holding), otherwise very good in rubbed and lightly foxed d.j. with a few short tears and a little insect damage.
First edition. Not in CBC. $85
558. EAVES, Charles Dudley & C.A. Hutchinson. Post City, Texas: C.W. Post’s Colonizing Activities in West Texas. Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1952. xiii [1, blank], 171 [1, blank] pp., frontispiece portrait, 4 maps, 9 plates. 8vo, original brick red pictorial cloth gilt. Gilt dull, otherwise fine in chipped and torn d.j. with sunned spine and a little insect damage.
First edition. CBC 1877. Herd 740. TC 742. $25
559. GARZA COUNTY HISTORICAL SURVEY COMMITTEE (compilers). Wagon Wheels: A History of Garza County. Seagraves: Pioneer Book Publishers, 1973. x, 340 pp., map, illustrations (mostly photographic). 4to, original brown pictorial cloth. Spine a bit light, otherwise fine.
First edition. TC 743. TLH, p. 30. $50
560. BIGGERS, Don H. German Pioneers in Texas: A Brief History of their Hardships, Struggles, and Achievements, Compiled for the Fredericksburger Wochenblatt and Fredericksburg Standard. Fredericksburg: Press of the Fredericksburg Publishing Co., 1925.  230 pp., 16 plates [included in pagination]. 8vo, original blue cloth. Light shelf wear, corners bumped, front hinge cracked (but holding), overall very good.
First edition. CBC 1886. Guns 207. Herd 259. TC 750 (1983 reprint). $50
561. [CATTLE BRANDS]. Printed brand registration certificate, completed in manuscript, commencing “The State of Texas, County of Gillespie. I H. Bierschwale, Clerk of the County Court of said county do hereby certify, that the following brand and mark was this day duly registered in my office for and in the name of George Zoeller residing in Kendall County, Texas.... Given under my hand and seal of office at Fredericksburg this 27th day of January A.D. 1883....” 17.9 x 21.8 cm. Browned, creased where formerly folded, short splits at folds (one affecting text), otherwise very good, with embossed seal of Gillespie County Court. $50
562. CENTENNIAL COMMITTEE, HARPER, TEXAS. Here’s Harper: 1863-1963. Fredericksburg: Radio Post, 1963.  162 pp., photographic illustrations. 8vo, original green pictorial cloth gilt. Gilt dull, a little cellotape residue on front cover, otherwise near fine.
First edition, Second Printing. Not in CBC. $65
563. EDWARDS, Walter F. The Story of Fredericksburg: Its Past, Present, Points of Interest, and Annual Events. Fredericksburg: Chamber of Commerce, 1969. 64 pp., illustrations (mostly photographic), ads. 8vo, original yellow pictorial wrappers. Fine.
First edition. $10
564. ESTILL, Julia. Admiral Chester W. Nimitz: His Heritage and Training. Fredericksburg: Fredericksburg Publishing, 1942.  pp., photographic illustrations. 12mo, original white pictorial wrappers, stapled. A little browning to wraps, otherwise fine.
Not in CBC. Reprint of article appearing December 25, 1941 in The Fredericksburg Standard. $10
565. [ESTILL, Julia]. Fredericksburg in the Texas Hill Country [wrapper title]. Fredericksburg: Chamber of Commerce, n.d. (early to mid 1940s).  pp., map, photographic illustrations. 8vo, original black and white pictorial wrappers, stapled. Fine aside from slight wear and foxing to wraps.
Promotional booklet. Shares much of the same text and images as the following item (CBC 1890), but text indicates that this version was issued during WWII and prior to Fredericksburg’s centennial in 1946. $10
566. ESTILL, Julia. Fredericksburg in the Texas Hill Country [wrapper title]. Fredericksburg: Chamber of Commerce, .  pp., map, photographic illustrations. 8vo, original color pictorial wrappers with Fredericksburg 1946 centennial seal in lower right-hand corner, stapled. Wraps a bit rubbed and soiled with a little insect damage in spine area, light foxing to first and last pages, overall very good.
CBC 1890. TC 746. See previous item. $10
567. [FREDERICKSBURG, TEXAS]. Tours of Fredericksburg’s Historic Spots during the Centennial Celebration, May 5, 6, 7, 8, 1946.... [cover title]. N.p., 1946.  pp., map. 8vo, unbound folded sheet. Very good aside from light wear, browning, and a few spots and stains. $10
568. FREDERICKSBURG CHAMBER OF COMMERCE. Fredericksburg “A Town You’ll Like” [wrapper title]. Fredericksburg: Chamber of Commerce, .  pp., photographic illustrations. 16mo, original printed dark grey wrappers, stapled. Fine aside from light wear to wraps.
First edition. CBC 1893. Photo-illustrated promotional pamphlet. $35
569. [GILLESPIE COUNTY FAIR]. Catalog and Prize List, 80th Annual Gillespie County Fair, Fredericksburg, Texas, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, August 23, 24, 25, 1968. N.p., 1968. 193  pp., photographic illustrations, ads. 8vo, original white pictorial wrappers printed in red and blue. Fine aside from a few fox-marks to edges and blank margins of title page. $30
570. [GILLESPIE COUNTY FAIR]. Catalog and Prize List, 85th Annual Gillespie County Fair, Fredericksburg, Texas, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, August 24, 25, 26, 1973. N.p., 1973. 200 pp., photographic illustrations, ads. 8vo, original white pictorial wrappers printed in blue, black, and gold. Light wear to wraps, else very good. $30
571. LINDIG, Otto. 100 Years: Historical Recollections of Gillespie County. Stonewall, Texas, n.d. (ca. 1970). 138 pp., photographic illustrations. 8vo, original green cloth gilt. Remnant adhesive stain from dynaco label on spine, binding lightly rubbed and soiled, corners bumped, gilt dull, otherwise very good.
TC 756. $125
572. MUELLER, Esther. “Sunday Houses of Fredericksburg: An Account of a Unique Institution in One of the Most Interesting Parts of Texas” in Texas Monthly V:3 (April 1930). Pp. 346-349. 8vo, original orange printed wrappers. Light wear to wraps, spine sunned, one corner bumped, notes in ink and pencil to upper wrap and table of contents, overall very good.
Also includes an article entitled “Texas County Names” by Harry Van Demark (pp. 309-315) $25
573. [STONEWALL, TEXAS]. Stonewall Trade Days, All Star Flea Market. N.p., n.d. (ca. 1970). Small folding pamphlet with illustrations and map. Folded: 14 x 8.9 cm; Open: 17.7 x 27.8 cm. Fine. $5
574. STONEWALL CENTENNIAL HISTORY COMMITTEE. The History of Stonewall, Texas, 1860-1960. Stonewall, 1960. 65 [1, blank] pp., map, illustrations (mostly photographic). 8vo, original peach pictorial wrappers, stapled. Light wear and a little browning to wraps, else fine.
Not in CBC. TC 752. $30
575. TEXAS HISTORICAL RECORDS SURVEY. Inventory of the County Archives of Texas. No. 86. Gillespie County (Fredericksburg). Gillespie County, Texas, 1941. xii, 149 [2, blank] pp., frontispiece, maps, plans of courthouse. 4to, original blue cloth. Aside from a little wear and one tiny spot to spine, fine.
First edition. CBC 1908. $15
DSRB Home | e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright Dorothy Sloan 2011