Copyright 2000-2015 by Dorothy Sloan-Rare Books Inc. for all materials on this site. All rights reserved, including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form.
Texas County and Local History
The items in this catalogue have been sold. This catalogue was issued in 2011, and is presented in full on our website as a courtesy to users and for reference purposes.
601. MOORE, Webb Leonidus. The Greer County Question. San Marcos: Press of the San Marcos Record, 1939. 108 pp. 12mo, original blue cloth. Fine aside from slight shelf wear, spine a bit light. Inscribed by author to Dudley R. Dobie on title page.
First edition. CBC 2057. TC 803. p. 5:
The “Greer County Question” is an expression applied to the long dispute, 1843 to 1930, between, first, the United States and Texas and later, between Oklahoma and Texas, involving the boundary line which was to determine whether the territory known as Greer County, Texas, lying between the North and South Forks of Red River, on the east and south, and the one hundredth meridian on the west, was a possession of the United States or of the State of Texas. $85
602. SWISHER, John M. Title of Greer County Investigated...with Opinions of Ex-Gov. E.M. Pease, and Major Wm. M. Walton [wrapper title]. Austin: American Sketch Book Publishing House, 1883. 16 pp. 8vo, original blue printed wrappers, stapled. Light wear and small split to spine, lower wrap lightly creased, top and bottom edges slightly gnawed (not affecting text). Despite these flaws, very good.
First edition. CBC 2065. $850
603. SWISHER, John M. Title of Greer County Investigated.... Austin: American Sketch Book Publishing House, 1883. Another copy, rebound. 8vo, later half maroon cloth over grey boards with typed adhesive label on upper cover, over original printed blue wrappers. A little insect damage to spine, boards, and lower wrap, inside of upper board with ink-stamped seal of the State of Texas, wraps and text with light vertical crease, otherwise very good. $750
604. NORTHCUTT, W.D. (chairman). Longview, Texas Centennial: The Long View of a Hundred Years, 1870-1970. Longview: Hudson Printing, 1970. 1-44  45-76 pp., many illustrations (mostly photographic), facsimiles. 4to, original beige pictorial wrappers, stapled. Very fine.
First edition. TC 809. TLH, p. 32. $30
605. TEXAS HISTORICAL RECORDS SURVEY. Inventory of the County Archives of Texas. No. 92. Gregg County (Longview). San Antonio: Texas Historical Records Survey, 1940.  179 [1, blank] pp., map, chart of governmental organization, plans of courthouse. 4to, original blue wrappers with black cloth backstrip. Fine aside from a little foxing to edges.
First edition. CBC 2078. $15
606. TEXAS STATEWIDE RECORDS PROJECT. Index to Probate Cases of Texas. No. 92. Gregg County, January 23, 1872-January 31, 1939. Gregg County, Texas, 1940.  pp., 48 folios, map. 4to, original blue printed wrappers with black cloth backstrip. Fine.
First edition. CBC 2077. TC 805 (referring to recent reprint). $15
607. ALLEN, Irene Taylor. Saga of Anderson: The Proud Story of a Historic Texas Community. New York: Greenwich Book Publishers, 1957. 322 pp., 8 plates, endpaper maps. 8vo, original blue cloth. Light shelf-wear to binding, edges and endpapers lightly foxed, otherwise very good in rubbed and browned d.j. with a few small chips.
First edition. CBC 2904. TC 814. $90
608. BLAIR, E.L. Early History of Grimes County. [Austin], 1930. x, 253  blank pp., map, facsimiles, 2 errata slips laid in. 8vo, original maroon cloth gilt. Tiny area of silverfish damage to bottom edge of text block, edges and endpapers lightly foxed, otherwise very good in tattered d.j.
First edition. CBC 2095. TC 811. History of Austin’s colony and the beginning of Anglo-American settlement with a chapter on the regional Indians (Bidai, Kickapoo, and Alabama-Coushatta). Biographies of the 64 original grantees are included, along with other primary documentation, such as Civil War muster rolls. $225
609. DAVIS, Wallace. My Home Town: The Bedias Story. Houston: Gulf Publishing, 1953. 231 [1, blank] pp., frontispiece, 16 plates, endpaper maps. 8vo, original red cloth gilt. Fine.
First edition. CBC 2098. TC 812. $40
610. [MAP]. TEXAS. GENERAL LAND OFFICE. Map of Grimes Co. Texas. [below title and scale] I, W.C. Walsh, Commissioner of the General Land Office, State of Texas, certify this to be a true and correct copy of the map now in use in this office and compiled from official data. W.C. Walsh [facsimile signature]. N.p., n.d. [St. Louis: Gast, ca. 1880]. Uncolored lithograph map mounted on poster board, overall sheet size: 70.7 x 40.8 cm. Map sheet trimmed at top and bottom, removing neat lines, surface rubbed and soiled, with staining from adhesive used in mounting to poster board, light, scattered insect damage and a few small stains. $375
611. FITZSIMON, Rev. L.J. History of Seguin [wrapper title]. N.p., n.d. 56 pp. 8vo, original green printed wrappers, stapled. Fine aside from light browning to wraps and a few scattered spots. Inscribed by author to Dudley R. Dobie and dated January 30, 1949. Typed letter, signed, from author to Dobie laid in.
Cf. CBC 2117. Reprinted from 1938 Seguin, Texas City Directory. Accompanying letter to Dudley R. Dobie notes that this is one of 100 copies printed at the author’s own expense, some time after the publication of the original directory. $55
612. GUADALUPE COLLEGE. Annual Catalogue of Guadalupe College, Seguin, Texas, for the Session 1910-11, and Announcement for 1911-12, Founded 1884 by Guadalupe Baptist Association and State Convention. Seguin: Enterprise Print, n.d. 47 [1, blank] pp., illustrations (mostly photographic). 8vo, original grey printed wrappers, stapled. Staples rusted, short tear to blank margin of first leaf, otherwise fine. $50
613. [GUADALUPE COUNTY, TEXAS]. Facts, for Business Men, About Seguin and Guadalupe County, Texas. [Seguin, 1893]. 10 pp. 8vo, original printed brown wrappers. Remarkably fresh and fine aside from uneven browning to upper wrap.
First edition. CBC 2116. Promotional pamphlet. $250
614. GUADALUPE COUNTY FAIR ASSOCIATION. Third Annual Guadalupe County Fair, September 24-25-26, 1919, Seguin, Texas. Seguin: Zeitung Print, 1919.  pp., illustrations, ads. 8vo, original grey pictorial wraps, stapled. Wraps soiled and lightly worn, text age-toned, pp. 49-52 detached from staples, occasional marks in pencil to ads, overall very good. $50
615. GUADALUPE STOCK AND FAIR ASSOCIATION. Seventeenth Annual Fair, Guadalupe Stock and Fair Association, Seguin, Texas, September 20th, 21st, and 22nd, 1900. N.p., 1900. 37  pp., ads. 8vo, original pink printed wrappers. Wraps lightly worn and soiled, first and last few leaves pulling away from fasteners, otherwise very good. $50
616. GUADALUPE STOCK AND FAIR ASSOCIATION. Eighteenth Annual Fair of the Guadalupe Stock and Fair Association. Opens Oct. 10, Closes Oct 12. Competition Open to Guadalupe and Adjoining Counties. Seguin: Seguin Enterprise, . 31  pp., ads. 8vo, original pink printed wrappers. Fine aside from light wear and browning to fragile wraps, “1901” written in pencil on upper wrap. $50
617. LUTHERAN COLLEGE. Lutheran College, Seguin, Texas, 1914-1915. Seguin, .  3-32 [1, blank] pp., frontispiece, 9 photographic plates. 8vo, original grey pictorial wrappers. Light wear and browning to fragile wraps, occasional foxing to text and plates (especially adjacent to wraps), faint offsetting from plates, overall very good. $50
618. PROTESTANT EPISCOPAL CHURCH, DIOCESE OF WEST TEXAS. The Church News, Diamond Jubilee Edition, Presenting the Diocese of West Texas of the Protestant Episcopal Church, 1874-1949. Seguin: Department of Promotion for the Diocese of West Texas, 1949. 36 pp., illustrations (mostly photographic). Small folio, original white pictorial wrappers printed in black, red, blue, and gold. Fine.
Issued as The Church News 7:1 (January, 1949). $25
619. SCHUTZE, Albert (compiler and publisher). Directory of Guadalupe County, Texas, for 1921-22.... San Antonio, n.d. 76 pp. Narrow 8vo, original grey printed wrappers. Spine worn and chewed with large voids at head and tail, lower wrap mostly detached, a few stray marks to wraps and text, overall good condition. $35
620. [SEGUIN, TEXAS]. The Seguin City Schools, Seguin, Texas, Session 1900-01 and Announcements for Session 1901-02. [Seguin, 1900]. 14 pp., illustrated title page. 8vo, original pink pictorial wrappers. Fair condition only: Spine insect damaged, wraps stained and soiled, a few scattered stains to blank margins of text, an ugly but functional copy, text largely unscathed. $25
621. TEXAS HISTORICAL RECORDS SURVEY. Inventory of the County Archives of Texas. No. 94. Guadalupe County (Seguin). San Antonio: Texas Historical Records Survey, 1939.  393 [1, blank] pp., frontispiece, maps, charts of governmental organization. 4to, original blue printed wrappers. Small chip to spine, scattered light insect damage to wraps, otherwise near fine.
First edition. CBC 2119. $15
622. TEXAS STATEWIDE RECORDS PROJECT. Index to Probate Cases of Texas. No. 94. Guadalupe County, March 22, 1846-August 11, 1939. San Antonio: State-wide Records Project, 1941. v [1, blank], 69 [1, blank] pp., map. 4to, original blue wrappers with black cloth backstrip. Fine. Assorted notes relating to an offering by the Jenkins Company in Spring, 1968, of two sets of Texas Historical Records Survey volumes clipped to lower wrap.
First edition. CBC 2118. TC 816 (referring to recent reprint). $15
623. TEXAS STATEWIDE RECORDS PROJECT. Index to Probate Cases of Texas. No. 94. Guadalupe County, March 22, 1846-August 11, 1939. San Antonio: State-wide Records Project, 1941. Another copy. Fine. $15
624. BUSINESS & PROFESSIONAL WONEN’S CLUB & PLAINVIEW RODEO ASSOCIATION, INC. Souvenir Program, Twentieth Annual Pioneer Roundup and Rodeo, 1948.... [wrapper title]. N.p., 1948.  pp., photographic illustrations, ads. Small 4to, original beige pictorial wrappers, staples. Staples rusted, a few tiny spots to wraps, one corner bumped, else fine. Printed sheet with rodeo program laid in. Ink ownership inscription of Dudley Dobie on front cover. $85
625. COX, Mary L. History of Hale County, Texas. Plainview, 1937. xi [1, blank] 230 pp., frontispiece, 5 plates, tables. 8vo, original orange pictorial cloth. Slight shelf wear, some foxing to endpapers, plates, and adjacent pages, overall very good in tattered glassine d.j.
First edition. CBC 2140. Herd 595. TC 824. $65
DSRB Home | e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright Dorothy Sloan 2011