Copyright 2000-2015 by Dorothy Sloan-Rare Books Inc. for all materials on this site. All rights reserved, including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form.
Texas County and Local History
The items in this catalogue have been sold. This catalogue was issued in 2011, and is presented in full on our website as a courtesy to users and for reference purposes.
826. GATES, J. Y. & H. B. Fox. A History of Leon County, with Informal Sketches and Interviews. Centerville: Leon County News, 1936.  34  pp. 12mo, original blue printed wrappers. Wrappers lightly sunned, fore-edges browned, else very fine.
First edition. CBC 2963. TLH, p. 49. Scarce history of the East Texas county. $45
827. LEATHERS, Frances Jane. Through the Years: A Historical Sketch of Leon County and the Town of Oakwood. Oakwood: Frances Jane Leathers, 1946.  218 pp., illustrations. 4to, original teal cloth with white-lettered spine. Binding spotted and lightly worn, endpapers and fore-edges browned, else fine in chipped and foxed illustrated d.j.
CBC 2966. TC 1174. $50
828. WOOD, W.D. (comp.). A Partial Roster of the Officers and Men Raised in Leon County, Texas, for the Service of the Confederate States in the War Between the States, with Short Biographical Sketches of Some of the Officers, and a Brief History of Maj. Gould’s Battalion and Other Matters. Waco: W.M. Morrison-Bookseller, 1963.  49 folios. 8vo, original brown gilt-lettered cloth. Light foxing to fore-edges, else fine.
CBC 2971b. Limited edition (#160 of 200 numbered copies), reprint edition (first edition n.p., 1899). TC 1173. $55
829. PARTLOW, Miriam. Liberty, Liberty County, and the Atascosito District. Austin: Pemberton Press, 1974.  369 [1, blank] pp., endpaper maps, maps, photographic illustrations. 4to, original maroon gilt-lettered cloth. Head and foot of spine bumped, boards slightly warped, fore-edges lightly foxed, else fine in sunned and chipped pictorial d.j.
First edition. TC 1177. TLH, p. 49. $75
830. PICKETT, Arlene. Historic Liberty County. N.p.: Tardy Publishing, 1936.  117 pp., 4 plates. Small 8vo, original blue cloth, spine and upper cover lettered in silver. Spine rubbed, corners and bottom edge lightly -bumped, fore-edges and endpapers slightly foxed, a few scattered fox marks to text, else very good in chipped and soiled pictorial d.j. Signed by author on title page.
First edition. CBC 2986. TC 1175. $125
831. PICKETT, Arlene. Historic Liberty County. N.p.: Tardy Publishing, 1936.  117 pp., 4 plates. Another copy, unsigned. Very good, sans d.j. $100
832. RATCHFORD, Fannie E. (ed.). The Story of Champ D’Asile As Told by Two of the Colonists. Dallas: Book Club of Texas, 1937. 180  pp., frontispiece, illustrated endpapers. 8vo, original green cloth with gilt-lettered spine. Minor foxing to fore-edges, else very fine, unopened, in green cloth slipcase.
First edition, limited edition (limited to 300 copies). CBC 2987. $100
833. RATCHFORD, Fannie E. (ed.). The Story of Champ D’Asile As Told by Two of the Colonists. Austin: Steck-Vaughn, 1969. xiv 180  pp., frontispiece, illustrated endpapers. 8vo, original green cloth with gilt-lettered spine. With green cloth slipcase. Spine lightly bumped at head, slipcase with light shelf wear, else very fine.
CBC 2987 (1937 edition). Facsimile of 1937 edition. $25
834. TEXAS STATEWIDE RECORDS PROJECT. Index to Probate Cases of Texas. No. 146. Liberty County, December 9, 1850-July 28, 1939. San Antonio: Statewide Records Project, 1941. viii  pp., 39 folios, map of Liberty and surrounding counties. 4to, original blue printed wrappers, black cloth back strip, stapled. Wrappers sunned, mild foxing to fore-edges, fine.
Not in CBC. TC 1176. $15
835. GROESBECK CHAMBER OF COMMERCE. The Fall of Fort Parker, May 19, 1836. Groesbeck: Chamber of Commerce, n.d.  pp., text illustration, advertisement. Unbound folded sheet, overall sheet: 15.2 x 15.2 cm; folded: 21.7 x 7.6 cm. 9 copies, good to fine. $20
836. STEELE, Hampton. A History of Limestone County, Texas: 1833-1860. Mexia: News Publishing, n.d.  37 pp. portrait. 8vo, original pale green printed wrappers. Wrappers sunned, staples rusted, else very fine.
First edition. CBC 3012. TC 1181. $40
837. WALTER, Ray A. A History of Limestone County. Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1959.  159 pp. 8vo, original black-lettered tan cloth. Endpapers and fore-edges foxed, else very fine in sunned pictorial d.j.
First edition, limited edition (#574 of 1,000 copies, signed). CBC 3016. TC 1180. $95
Live Oak County
838. LIVE OAK COUNTRY CENTENNIAL ASSOCIATION. Live Oak County Centennial, 1856-1956, May 2-3-4-5, 1956. N.p., 1956. 40 pp., numerous photographic illustrations, advertisements. 4to, original beige printed wrappers, stapled. Very light bumping to corners, else very fine.
CBC 3028. $30
839. THREE RIVERS CELEBRATION. Three Rivers, Texas. Golden Age of Progress Celebration, History and Program, July 5-6, 1963. Three Rivers, 1963. 80  pp., photographic illustrations. 8vo, original gold wrappers with photographic illustration, stapled. Wrappers foxed and discolored, fore-edges foxed, else fine.
CBC 3030. $35
840. BARLER, Miles. Early Days in Llano [wrapper title]. [Llano?], n.d. (ca. 1905). 76 pp. 16mo, original brown wrappers. Other than a slight crease to upper wrapper, a fine copy.
CBC 3031. Guns 140. Herd 206: “Rare.” Howes B141. Collection of articles originally published in the Llano Times containing reminiscences of an Ohioan who came to Texas in 1850 with the Oatmans and worked as a cowboy in Bastrop County with Grandpa Oatman and then Col. Bunton. After accumulating a hundred head of cattle, he settled in Llano County in 1857. Cowboy life, Indian fights, outlaws, rustlers, bear hunts, Civil War, etc. $85
841. OATMAN, Wilburn. Llano, Gem of the Hill Country: A History of Llano County, Texas. Hereford: Pioneer Book, Inc., 1970.  x, 196 pp., photographic illustrations, map. 4to, original olive pictorial cloth stamped in black. Binding rubbed, else fine. Signed by author’s children. $75
842. [MAP]. TEXAS. GENERAL LAND OFFICE. Loving County, State of Texas, August 1889. [upper right] I, R.M. Hall, Commissioner of the GenL Land Office do certify that this map is a True and Correct Copy of the Map now in use in this Office compiled from Official Data [facsimile signature] R.M. Hall Commissioner. [upper left] Copyright 1888 R.M. Hall, Commissioner of the GenL Land Office of the State of Texas For Sale at State Land Office Austin Tex Price 50¢: [lower left above neat line] Aug. Gast Bank Note & Litho. Company, Map Publishers. St. Louis. St. Louis: Gast, 1888. Uncolored lithograph map mounted on poster board, neat line to neat line: 46.4 x 57.8 cm; overall sheet size: 48.8 x 61 cm. Light foxing. $400
843. BLANKENSHIP, Mary A. The West Is For Us: The Reminiscences of Mary A. Blankenship. Lubbock: West Texas Museum Association, 1958.  125 pp., portraits, illustrations. 8vo, original tan cloth. Spine rubbed, else fine.
First edition. Not in CBC. $85
844. [MAP]. TEXAS. GENERAL LAND OFFICE. Map of Madison County, Texas. [lower right below map] I, W.C. Walsh, Commissioner of the General Land Office do certify that the above Map of Madison County is a true and correct copy of the Map now in use in this Office compiled from official data. [facsimile signature] W.C. Walsh Commissioner. [lower right above neat line] Copyright 1879, W.C. Walsh, Commissioner of the Genl Land Office of the State of Texas. [St. Louis: Gast, 1879]. Uncolored lithograph map mounted on poster board, neat line to neat line: 39.8 x 52.2 cm; overall sheet size: 43.2 x 56.1 cm. Map surface browned and with stains from adhesive mounting map sheet to board, 2 x 1 cm. chip in upper right blank corner, light scattered insect damage to edges and surface of map sheet, a few small scattered spots. $400
845. CAMERON, Rebecca M. & Ruth Lester. Jefferson on the Bayou: Glamorous Cultural City of Stern-Wheelers and Wagon Trails. Marshall: Demmer, 1966.  [1, blank] pp., photographic illustrations. 4to, original color pictorial wrappers, stapled. Wrappers lightly spotted and creased, text slightly wrinkled, else fine. $15
846. CAMPBELL, Thomas J. History of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church in Texas. Nashville: Cumberland Presbyterian Publishing, 1936. 230 pp., photographic illustrations. 8vo, original purple suede wrappers with gilt-lettered upper. Wrapper lightly rubbed, endpapers and margins foxed, else very fine. Signed by author.
Not in CBC. $50
847. CAMPBELL, Thomas J. History of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church in Texas. Another copy, unsigned. Wrapper lightly rubbed, endpapers and margins foxed, else very fine. $45
848. DEAN, Winnie Mims. Jefferson, Texas: Queen of the Cypress. Dallas: Mathis, Van Nort & Company, 1953. 80 pp., photographic illustrations. 8vo, light green cloth with green-lettered upper cover. Slight stain on upper cover, fore-edges browned, else very fine in rubbed and price-clipped pictorial d.j. Signed by author.
First edition. CBC 3175. TC 1247. $30
849. [MAP]. TEXAS. GENERAL LAND OFFICE. Marion County. Texas [lower left above neat line] I, W.C. Walsh, Commissioner of the General Land Office, do certify that the above Map of Marion County is a true and correct copy of the Map now in use in this office, compiled from official data. W.C. Walsh [facsimile signature] Commissioner. [lower right above neat line] Copyright 1879. W.C. Walsh, Commissioner of the Genenal [sic] Land Office of the State of Texas. [St. Louis: Gast, 1879]. Uncolored lithograph map mounted on poster board, neat line to neat line: 33 x 48 cm; overall sheet size: 35.9 x 51.3 cm. Left blank margin of map sheet browned, a little scattered soiling and a few spots to map sheet. $400
850. MCKAY, Mrs. Arch & Mrs. H.A. Spellings (comps.). A History of Jefferson, Marion County, Texas. N.p., n.d.  70 pp., photographic illustrations. 8vo, original red printed wrappers. Wrappers sunned, fore-edges and margins foxed, else fine.
First edition. CBC 3183. TC 1242. $40
DSRB Home | e-mail: email@example.com
Copyright Dorothy Sloan 2011