Copyright 2000-2017 by Dorothy Sloan-Rare Books Inc. for all materials on this site. All rights reserved, including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form.
Texas County and Local History
The items in this catalogue have been sold. This catalogue was issued in 2011, and is presented in full on our website as a courtesy to users and for reference purposes.
951. CORPUS CHRISTI CHAMBER OF COMMERCE. Historical Points of Interest. N.p., n.d. Folding double-sided pamphlet with small printed two-color map, text illustrations and descriptions of major historical sites; overall: 21.6 x 30.3 cm; folded: 21.6 x 10.1 cm. Light wear. Fine. $10
952. DEGARMO, Mrs. Frank [Marie E.]. Pathfinders of Texas 1836-1846: Being the Stories of Pioneer Families that Builded Well for Nueces County and Corpus Christi. Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1951.  273 [1, blank] pp., frontispiece portrait of author, pictorial endpapers. 8vo, original red gilt-lettered cloth. Binding lightly rubbed, foxing to title page, book plate residue staining frontispiece, otherwise very good in torn and rubbed d.j.
First edition. CBC 3542. $100
953. DUNN, J.B. John. Perilous Trails of Texas. Dallas: Southwest Press, 1932. x, 163 [1, blank] pp., frontispiece portrait of author. 8vo, original green cloth. Binding rubbed and discolored, endpapers stained, title page foxed, unopened, else very good.
First edition. CBC 3545: “Much on Nueces County.” Guns 650: “Deals with lawlessness on the Mexican border.” Howes D578. Rader 1241. $225
954. FEDERAL WRITERS’ PROJECT. WORK PROJECTS ADMINISTRATION. AMERICAN GUIDE SERIES. Corpus Christi: A History and Guide. Corpus Christi: Caller-Times, 1942.  xiii  246 pp., photographic and text illustrations, endpaper maps. 8vo, original aqua blue cloth. Binding stained, corners bumped, first few pages dog-eared, mild foxing to fore-edges, a very good copy.
First edition. CBC 3505. Brewer TC 1382. $65
955. KILGORE, D.E. “Corpus Christi: A Quarter Century of Development, 1900-1925” from The Southwestern Historical Quarterly 75:4, 1972. Pp 433-443, photographic illustrations. 8vo, original cream wrappers. Fine. Inscribed by author to Dudley Dobie.
956. KILGORE, D.E. Nueces County, Texas, 1750-1800: A Bicentennial Memoir. Corpus Christi: Friends of the Corpus Christi Museum, 1975.  10 pp., frontispiece, 3 folded maps laid in. 8vo, original white and orange printed wrappers, stapled. Fine. Inscribed by the author. $20
957. McCAMPBELL, Coleman. Texas Seaport: The Story of the Growth of Corpus Christi and the Coastal Bend Area. New York: Exposition Press, 1952. 4-305 [1, blank] pp., text illustrations, folding map, 8 photographic plates, endpaper maps. 8vo, original red cloth. Light wear to binding, fore-edges mildly foxed, endpapers browned, light staining in blank margins on and opposite plates, else near fine in lightly worn d.j. with one small tear.
First edition. CBC 3568. TC 1395. $20
958. McCAMPBELL, Coleman. Saga of a Frontier Seaport. Dallas: South-West Press, 1934. viii, 167 [1, blank] pp., frontispiece portrait, illustrated endpapers. 12mo, original black cloth. Light rubbing to binding, endpapers mildly foxed, text browned, else fine in a chipped pictorial d.j.
First edition. CBC 3567. $45
959. NUECES COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY. The History of Nueces County. Austin: Jenkins Publishing, 1972.  224 pp., 28 pages of photographic illustrations (not included in pagination). 8vo, half dark brown cloth over tan boards. Very fine.
First edition. TC 1385. $110
960. MILLER, Mrs. S.G. Sixty Years in the Nueces Valley: 1870 to 1930. San Antonio: Naylor, 1930.  viii  374 pp., 9 plates including maps. 8vo, original green cloth, with tipped-on photograph. Other than mild foxing to endpapers and fore-edges, a fine copy in glassine webbed d.j.
First edition. CBC 3575. Herd 1491. Howes M618. Rader 2402. Contains James Potter Collins’ Autobiography of a Revolutionary Soldier. $350
961. SUTHERLAND, Mary A. The Story of Corpus Christi. Corpus Christi: Daughters of the Confederacy, 1916. x, 146 pp., frontispiece plate of author. 8vo, original green leather, decorated in gilt. Extremities abraded, covers lightly soiled, edges browned, else very good. Signed by author.
Deluxe edition. CBC 3600. TC 1393. $100
962. SUTHERLAND, Mary A. The Story of Corpus Christi. Corpus Christi: Daughters of the Confederacy, 1916. x, 146 pp., frontispiece plate of author. 8vo, original green cloth decorated in red and green. Binding rubbed with spine label residue present, front hinge mildly cracked, endpapers discolored and with ink notation, mild foxing throughout, a very good copy.
CBC 3600. TC 1393. $70
963. TAYLOR, Paul Schuster. An American-Mexican Frontier: Nueces County, Texas. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1934. xiii [1, blank], 337 [1, blank] pp., 6 photographic plates, charts, endpaper maps. 8vo, original maroon cloth. Other than spotting and foxing to endpapers and fore-edges, a near fine copy in a chipped and tattered price-clipped d.j.
First edition. CBC 3601. Rader 3043. Well-written, scholarly county history. Heavily documented with statistics and primary sources. $140
964. WALRAVEN, Bill. Corpus Christi: The History of a Texas Seaport. Woodland Hills: Windsor Publications, 1982. 174  pp., photographic illustrations. 4to, original brown cloth. Other than light bumping to spine tail, a fine copy in a fine d.j. Signed by author on front fly leaf.
First edition. $20
965. XAVIER, Sister Mary. A Century of Sacrifice: The History of the Cathedral Parish, Corpus Christi, Texas. 1853-1953. N.p., 1953. vii,  67  pp., 14 photographic plates. 8vo, original gold wrappers with photographic illustration, stapled. Wraps lightly rubbed, edges foxed, overall very good. $25
966. OCHILTREE COUNTY HISTORICAL SURVEY COMMITTEE. Wheatheart of the Plains: An Early History of Ochiltree County. Taylor Publishing, 1969. 653 [1, blank] pp., photographic illustrations. 4to, original green cloth stamped in white. Other than mild foxing to title page and fore-edges, a fine copy.
First edition. TC 1397. TLH, p.59. $50
967. DAY, Beth. A Shirttail To Hang To: The Story of Cal Farley and His Boys Ranch. New York: Henry Holt, 1959. xviii, 232 pp., 16 photographic plates. 8vo, original orange cloth stamped in blind and white. Near fine in lightly foxed and rubbed pictorial d.j.
First edition, second printing. $5
968. ORANGE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE. Orange, The City of Your Future. Orange Chamber of Commerce, . 52 pp., text and photographic illustrations, maps, folding map. 4to, original brown wrappers with tipped-on photograph, spiral bound. Other than some shelf wear to wrappers, a fine copy.
CBC 3644. TC 1408. $35
969. TEXAS HISTORICAL RECORDS SURVEY. Inventory of the County Archives of Texas. No. 181. Orange County (Orange). San Antonio: Texas Historical Records Survey, 1941. 177 [1, blank] pp., map of Orange and surrounding counties. 4to, original blue printed wrappers, black cloth back strip, stapled. Light wear to fore-edges. Fine.
CBC 3638. $15
970. TEXAS STATEWIDE RECORDS PROJECT. Index to Probate Cases of Texas. No. 181. Orange County, March 20, 1852-December 31, 1938. [San Antonio]: Texas State-wide Records Project, 1940.  pp., 31 folios, map of Orange and surrounding counties. 4to, original blue printed wrappers, black cloth back strip, stapled. Wrappers slightly smudged and faded, else fine.
CBC 3637. $15
Palo Pinto County
971. CHAMBER OF COMMERCE. MINERAL WELLS. Ten Years Younger. Mineral Wells: Mineral Wells Chamber of Commerce, n.d.  pp., text and photographic illustrations, folding panoramic photographs. 4to, original grey wrappers, stapled. Wrappers discolored, else fine. $45
972. CLARKE, Mary Whatley. The Palo Pinto Story. Fort Worth: Manney, 1956. x, 172 pp., 36 leaves of photographic illustrations (not included in pagination). 8vo, original maroon gilt cloth. Other than dulled gilt, a fine copy in a price-clipped and lightly rubbed pictorial d.j.
First edition. CBC 3650. Guns 432: “Has a chapter on Sam Bass, giving some new material.” Herd 470. Incidents in the history of Palo Pinto County, in north central Texas, about 1840 through 1940. TC 1410. $135
973. COX, Mrs. M.W. A Love Story of Mineral Wells. Mineral Wells: Index Printing, n.d. , photographic illustrations, advertisements. 8vo, original off-white printed wrappers, stapled. Wrappers foxed and chipped, light foxing and warping of margins (not affecting text), else very good.
CBC 3653. $50
975. CARTHAGE CIRCULATING BOOK CLUB (comp.). History of Panola County [wrapper title]. Carthage, . 52 pp. 8vo, original orange printed wrappers, stapled. Wrappers smudged and faded, stains to some pages (not affecting text), else very good.
CBC 3676. $55
DSRB Home | e-mail: email@example.com
Copyright Dorothy Sloan 2011