Dorothy Sloan -- Books

Copyright 2000- by Dorothy Sloan-Rare Books Inc. for all materials on this site. All rights reserved, including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form.

AUCTION 22

 

Missionary Work in Oklahoma immediately before & after the Boom


Click images or links labeled Enlarge to enlarge. Links labeled Zoom open zoomable images.

80.     BROOKE, Francis Key. The Missionary District of Oklahoma and Indian Territory [caption title]. N.p., n.d. [lower wrapper: Press of the Avil Printing Company, Philadelphia, Pa., 1896?]. [1-2] 3-15 [1, colophon] pp., printed in double column, photographic text illustrations tinted lilac (scenes, architecture, people, views). 4to (26.1 x 19.4 cm), self wrappers with title on upper wrapper, colophon on lower wrapper, original staples. Spine lightly cracked, upper wrapper with light marginal soiling, otherwise a very fine copy of a fragile item. OCLC locations: Oklahoma State and Yale.

     First edition. Not in standard sources. The documentary photographs include scenes from the land rush, such as “Looking for a Town Lot the Day after The Opening, April 1889” (a forlorn man holding a large pack while walking) and “Law Offices, Guthrie, April 12, 1889” (busy scene with wagons and people; in the foreground, two lawyers sit behind trunks with their signs propped in front), “Trinity Church and Rectory, Guthrie, Oklahoma, Our First Church in Oklahoma” (apparently after it was moved from its original location in 1893), “Bark House, Iowa County, Oklahoma” (well-dressed group of Natives), “Cheyenne Camp on the North Canadian River” (a mini-city of Cheyenne tents with wagons), “Group of Fort Sill Apaches-Geronimo on the Left” (group of five Natives), “On the Line, Registering to Go into the Strip, Orlando, O.T., 7 o’clock A.M., September 11, 1893” (large group of waiting men, horses, and wagons), “Holding down a Lot in an Oklahoma Town, April 23, 1889” (three men and two women in Victorian dress wait under a makeshift tent with barrel and implements scattered on the ground).

     The Episcopal General Convention created the Missionary District of Oklahoma and Indian Territory, and author Right Reverend Francis Key Brooke was sent to Guthrie in January of 1893 as its first bishop. He established Trinity Church as his cathedral church until 1908, when he moved the diocesan headquarters to Oklahoma City. Brooke gives a brief overview of the history of Indian Territory and Oklahoma, naming the various tribes, and rues the lack of any sustained mission work among them. In 1889 there was not even one church for the 60,000 “civilized Indians,” 17,000 “semi-wild, or blanket Indians,” and 15,000 to 20,000 Anglos. By the time of publication the Boomer population far surpassed that of the Natives, swelling to about 180,000, thus creating an entirely different flock. He sympathetically and carefully explains the “perplexing and trying” strains on the original inhabitants due to the “will of the more enterprising, and energetic few.” A brief overview of resources and enterprises is offered, but the primary focus of Brooke’s focus is the need for funding and support.

($300-600)

Sold. Hammer: $350.00; Price Realized: $420.00

Auction 22 Abstracts

Click images or links labeled Enlarge to enlarge. Links labeled Zoom open zoomable images.

DSRB Home | e-mail: rarebooks@sloanrarebooks.com