Copyright 2000- by Dorothy Sloan-Rare Books Inc. for all materials on this site. All rights reserved, including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form.
Texas County and Local History
The items in this catalogue have been sold. This catalogue was issued in 2011, and is presented in full on our website as a courtesy to users and for reference purposes.
26. HUNTER, J[ohn] Marvin. The Lyman Wright Colony in Texas: Came to Bandera in 1854 [wrapper title]. Bandera: Bandera Bulletin, n.d.  37 [1, blank] pp., frontispiece portrait. 8vo, original blue printed wrappers, stapled. Wraps lightly browned, otherwise fine. Scarce. No copies located in OCLC Worldcat.
Not in CBC. TC 57. $35
27. PATTERSON, C.L. History and Directory of Bandera County [wrapper title]. N.p., n.d. 18 [12, ads] pp., text illustrations. 12mo, original blue pictorial wrappers with map, stapled. Wraps browned at margins, otherwise fine.
CBC 145. TC 54. “Go anywhere in Bandera County, over any road, and see if you don’t enjoy the drive, scenery, natural surroundings, if you are natural” (p. 18). $35
28. TEXAS HISTORICAL RECORDS SURVEY. Inventory of the County Archives of Texas...No. 10, Bandera County (Bandera). San Antonio: Texas Historical Records Survey, 1940.  113 [1, blank] pp., map, plans of courthouse. 4to, original blue printed wrappers. Light insect damage to upper wrap, else near fine.
First Edition. CBC 141. $15
29. BASTROP ADVERTISER (publisher). In the Shadow of the Lost Pines: A History of Bastrop County and Its People. Bastrop, 1955. 44 pp. Folio, original brown wood-grain patterned pictorial wrappers with brown cloth backstrip. Fine aside from slight wear to corners and edges and tiny stain to blank corner of front flyleaf.
First edition. CBC 163. TC 73. $35
30. BRYSON, J. Gordon, M.D. Reminiscences of a Country Doctor. Waco: Texian Press, 1963. xv [1, blank] 215 [1, blank] pp., 4 plates. 8vo, original blue cloth gilt. Edges foxed with a few small stains, light foxing to endpapers and title page, else very good. Signed by author on front flyleaf.
Not in CBC. TC 79. Introduction by Joe B. Frantz. $30
31. [CAMP SWIFT]. A Camera Trip through Camp Swift, Texas: A Picture Book of the Camp and its Activities [wrapper title]. Brooklyn: Ullman, n.d.  pp., profusely illustrated with photographs. 8vo, original pictorial self-wrappers, stapled. Some pages with a few ink spots (probably from printing process), otherwise very fine.
Not in CBC. Black-and-white photographs show various aspects of Army life at Camp Swift, including training, education, and recreation. $20
32. JONES, Margaret Bell (comp.). Bastrop: A Compilation of Material Relating to the History of the Town of Bastrop with Letters Written by Terry’s Rangers. Bastrop, 1936. 75 [1, blank] pp., photographic illustrations. 8vo, original black wrappers lettered and decorated in silver. Fine. Scarce.
First edition. CBC 167. TC 66. A history of Bastrop during the nineteenth century, followed by previously unpublished letters written by William Nicholson during his service in Terry’s Texas Rangers 1861-1864. $125
33. MOORE, Bill. Bastrop County 1691-1900. Wichita Falls: Nortex, 1977. xiii [1, blank] 318 pp., title page illustration, maps, numerous photographic illustrations. 8vo, original dark brown cloth lettered in silver. Very fine in very good d.j. (spine browned, edges lightly chipped).
Revised edition. TC 67. TLH, p. 4. $75
34. SOUTHWESTERN BELL. Camp Swift, Texas [wrapper title]. N.p,: Southwestern Bell Telephone Company, n.d. (ca. 1943). 16 pp., illustrations. 16mo, original blue pictorial wrappers, stapled. Very fine.
Not in CBC. Wartime pamphlet gives brief overview of services available at Camp Swift, with an emphasis on Southwestern Bell’s telephone system and wartime connection slowdowns due to call volume and materials shortages. From lower wrap: “A machine gun in action uses 30 pounds of copper in four minutes–enough for a mile and a half of telephone lines.” $20
35. TEXAS HISTORICAL RECORDS SURVEY. Inventory of the County Archives of Texas, No. 11. Bastrop County (Bastrop). San Antonio: Texas Historical Records Survey, 1941.  128 pp, maps, plans of courthouse. 4to, original blue printed wrappers. Fine.
First edition. CBC 164. $15
36. VEST, D.L. Watterson Folk of Bastrop County, Texas. Waco: Texian Press, 1963. [1, frontispiece] x, 287 [1, blank] pp., 8 plates with photographic illustrations. 8vo, original navy blue cloth gilt. Edges and title page foxed, occasional foxing to text, otherwise very good. Bookplate of A.B. Fenner on front pastedown.
First Edition. CBC 185. TC 81. $65
37. BAYLOR COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY. Salt Pork to Sirloin: The History of Baylor County, Texas from 1879 to 1930. Quanah, Wichita Falls: Nortex, 1972.  227  179  pp., numerous illustrations (mostly photographic). 4to, original brown pictorial cloth. A little light foxing to edges, otherwise fine.
First edition. Contains a 179 pp. section of family histories. TC 84. TLH, p. 4 (referring to a second edition with different pagination, also published in Quanah, 1972). $65
38. BALLARD, Jim. Years Ago: The Truth, the Whole Truth, Nothing But [wrapper title]. Beeville: Alice Ballard Broocks, 1972. 83 [1, blank] pp., one photographic illustration. 8vo, original white pictorial wraps, comb bound. Very fine. Signed by publisher inside upper wrap.
First edition. $35
39. BAUER, Grace. Bee County Centennial 1858-1958.... [wrapper title]. Beeville: Bee County Centennial, 1958. 115 [1, blank] pp., photographic illustrations, ads. 8vo, original white pictorial wrappers. Very fine. Signed by author on p. 1.
First edition. CBC 197. TC 87. This work contains sections on wool and sheep, “Old Time Ranchers and Ranching,” “Earliest Organization of Cattlemen,” “South Texas Hereford Association,” etc. Photographs include a group shot of “One of the Last Bee County Round-Ups.” $30.00
40. BAUER, Grace. Bee County Centennial 1858-1958.... [wrapper title]. Beeville: Bee County Centennial, 1958. Another copy, not signed. Wraps a bit worn and soiled, water stain to upper left corner and spine (not affecting text), otherwise good. $15
41. BECK, Magnus Olaf. Becks of Normanna. N.p.: Naylor, 1964. x, 198 pp., frontispiece portrait, photographic illustrations. 8vo, original pictorial navy blue cloth. Binding lightly mildewed, small water stain to top left corner (not affecting text), otherwise good in water stained d.j.
First edition. Not in CBC. Discusses life in Norway and the Norwegian settlement of Normanna, Texas. $20
42. EZELL, Camp. Historical Story of Bee County, Texas. Beeville: Beeville Publishing, 1973. xii, 258  pp., map, photographic illustrations. 8vo, original green cloth gilt. Light foxing to edges, faint musty smell, otherwise fine. Signed and dated October 20, 1973 by author on front free endpaper.
First edition. TC 89. TLH, p. 4 $65
43. MADRAY, Mrs. I.C. A History of Bee County with Some Brief Sketches about Men and Events in Adjoining Counties [cover title]. Beeville: Beeville Publishing, 1939.  iv, 133 [1, blank]  pp., photographic illustrations. 4to, original blue cloth. Small water stain on top edge of text block (not affecting text), otherwise fine in water stained and chipped d.j.
First edition. CBC 206. $50
44. ROUNTREE, J.G. II. History of Bee County, Texas [wrapper title]. Beeville, 1960. 143 [1, blank] 56 pp., map. 4to, original beige printed wrappers with black cloth backstrip. A little browning to wraps, edges with small water stain and a few tiny spots, otherwise very good. Gift inscription in ink on p. 1, “To Dudley from Asa, Apr. 10-62.” Publisher’s announcements and related two-page note in ink on letterhead of Asa A. Jones, Alpine, Texas laid in.
First edition. CBC 208. $75
45. ROUNTREE, J.G. II. History of Bee County, Texas [wrapper title]. Beeville, 1960. Another copy. Near fine aside from a few small marks and a little browning to wraps. $50
46. ATKINSON, Bertha. History of Bell County, Texas, by Bertha Atkinson B.A., Burnet, Texas, August 1929. N.p.: Bell County Historical Society, 1970.  139 [1, blank] pp. 8vo, original violet printed wrappers, stapled. Staples rusting, spine browned with light insect damage, former owner’s ink stamp on upper wrap and title page, otherwise very good.
Reprint of 1929 first edition. CBC 215 (referring to 1929 edition). TC 100. TLH, p. 5. Includes appendix detailing Bell County rangers and Confederate soldiers. $25
47. CARTER, William T. Jr., H.G. Lewis & H.W. Hawker. Soil Survey of Bell County, Texas. Washington: GPO, 1918. 46 pp., large folding map. 8vo, original tan printed wrappers. Light wear and browning to wraps and text block, otherwise very good.
First edition. CBC 224 (apparently referring to 1916 advance sheets). $65
48. DUNCAN, Gra’Delle. Central Texas Diary. Killeen: Killeen Centennial Commission, 1982.  96 pp, text illustrations and 15 color plates by John Carter. Oblong small 4to, original green cloth gilt with color pictorial label on upper cover. Near fine aside from slight shelf wear and a few small spots to cover label. Author’s signature and artist’s signed inscription on front free endpaper.
First edition. $60
49. DUNCAN, Gra’Delle. Killeen Area Bicentennial Sketchbook. Killeen: Commercial Printing, 1975. 64 pp., many illustrations by Joe Buckler. Small folio, original tan pictorial wrappers, stapled. Wraps lightly browned and soiled with a few small marks and a little fading near spine, otherwise near fine. Signed by author and artist on page .
TC 106. $25
50. DUNCAN, Gra’Delle. Killeen: Tale of Two Cities, 1882-1982. Austin: Eakin, 1984. vii [1, blank] 176 pp., many photographic illustrations. 4to, original brown cloth gilt. Very fine. Inscribed by author on front free endpaper with additional signature on title page.
First edition. Some material previously published in May 7, 1982 Centennial issue of the Killeen Daily Herald. $30
DSRB Home | e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright Dorothy Sloan 2011