Copyright 2000- by Dorothy Sloan-Rare Books Inc. for all materials on this site. All rights reserved, including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form.
Texas County and Local History
The items in this catalogue have been sold. This catalogue was issued in 2011, and is presented in full on our website as a courtesy to users and for reference purposes.
376. CIVIC FEDERATION OF DALLAS. Twelfth Annual Directory, 1929, Dallas Agencies for Civic and Social Progress and Promotion of Health and Education. State Organizations and Boards. Dallas: Civic Federation of Dallas, 1929. 32 pp. 8vo, original white printed self-wrappers, stapled. Browned, a few tiny chips to margins of fragile wraps, else fine. $20
377. DALLAS HISTORICAL SOCIETY. Describing a Magnificent Collection of Historical Material. Dallas, 1938.  pp, illustrated. 8vo, folded single sheet. Foxed and creased where folded for mailing, else good. Addressed to J. Frank Dobie. $10
378. [DALLAS, TEXAS]. Album of Beautiful Colored Views of Dallas, Texas. Dallas: [printed in Germany for] Metropolitan Book Company, n.d. (ca. 1898).  folios, 10 color images of Dallas architecture and landmarks. Oblong 12mo, original brown pictorial wrappers, tied with silk cord. Fine aside from slight wear to wraps and a few water stains to blank margins of title page.
CBC 1212. Scenes depict Exhibition Building, Fair Grounds; City Park; Wilson Building; Confederate Monuments at City Park; Southland Park; Southland Hotel; Dallas Public Library; County Court House; St. Matthew’s Cathedral; Main Street; and Trinity River. $150
379. [DALLAS, TEXAS]. Album of Beautiful Colored Views of Dallas, Texas. Dallas: [printed in Germany for] Metropolitan Book Company, n.d. (ca. 1898). , folios, 10 color images of Dallas architecture and landmarks. Oblong 12mo, original oblong brown pictorial wrappers, tied with silk cord. A few fox-marks to title page, small hole on green border of first image, otherwise fine.
CBC 1212. Variant of previous item with different images. Scenes depict Exhibition Building; Post Office; City Hall; Oriental Hotel; Amusement Park; Praetorial Building; Cathedral of the Sacred Heart; Chute the Chutes, Oak Cliff; Bird’s Eye View of Dallas; and Head of Navigation. $150
380. DALLAS WOMAN’S FORUM. The Dallas Woman’s Forum, Twenty-fifth Annual Year Book, 1930-1931. N.p., n.d (ca. 1930). 72 pp., 4 plates (including frontispiece). 8vo, original dark green embossed and gilt wraps, stapled. Wraps with light wear and a few small spots, spine browned, title page and p. 72 browned from contact with plate stock, otherwise near fine. $20
381. DEALY, Ted. Diaper Days of Dallas. Nashville & New York: Abingdon Press, 1966. 192 pp., 24 plates. 8vo, original orange cloth. Edges foxed, slight browning adjacent to plates, otherwise near fine in sunned and lightly worn price-clipped d.j. with one small spot of insect damage.
First edition. TC 491. TLH, p. 20 (referring to 1975 reprint) $10
382. GRAFF, Harvey J., Charles Barton & Alan R. Baron. Dallas, Texas: A Bibliographical Guide to the Sources of Its Social History to 1930. Dallas: University of Texas at Dallas, 1979. ix [1, blank] 54 pp. 8vo, original orange cloth. Fine aside from light shelf wear and minor shelf-slanting.
First edition. TC 487. TLH, p. 20. $20
383. GREENE, A.C. A Place Called Dallas: The Pioneering Years of a Continuing Metropolis. Dallas: Dallas County Heritage Society, 1975. xiv, 65 [1, blank] pp., illustrations. 8vo, original tan printed wrappers printed in orange and brown. Wraps browned and slightly shelf-worn, else near fine.
TC 514. $10
384. HOTEL GREETERS OF AMERICA. The Dallas Greeter 4:25 (Week of September 18, 1932). Dallas: Dallas Carter No. 51 Hotel Greeters of America, 1932. 15  pp, map, ads. 8vo, original white pictorial self-wrappers, stapled. A well-used but solid copy: creased where formerly folded, wraps worn and soiled, text rumpled, overall good condition. $10
385. HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND CLUB. Come to Dallas, the Center of the Agricultural District of Texas.... Dallas: Dorsey Printing, n.d. (ca. 1905).  pp., many photographic illustrations. 8vo, original white pictorial self-wrappers printed in black and red, stapled, folded vertically to fit in letter envelope. Wraps browned and lightly rubbed with a few chips, otherwise very good. Separate printed sheet with promotional message from the Hundred and Fifty Thousand Club laid in.
Promotional pamphlet from the Hundred and Fifty Thousand Club of Dallas. From laid-in sheet:
The Hundred and Fifty Thousand Club of Dallas is an organization of progressive business men pledged to secure for the city a population of 150,000 within the next five years. It has gathered up a great deal of information as to definite opportunities that are now open for the conservative investment of capital and personal energy.
386. JOHN F. WORLEY DIRECTORY CO. (publisher). Worley’s Information Guide of Dallas.... Dallas, 1912. 84 pp, maps, ads. 16mo, original green printed wrappers. Fair condition only: Folding map absent, wraps heavily worn and chipped, outer leaves worn and soiled. $15
387. JOHN F. WORLEY DIRECTORY CO. (publisher). Worley’s Information Guide of Dallas.... Dallas, 1914. 94 [2, blank] pp., maps, ads, large folding map tipped onto inside of lower wrapper. 16mo, original red printed wrappers. Fragile wraps lightly worn, browned, and soiled, first and last leaves tearing free of staples, text browned with a few scattered fox marks to initial leaves, a little insect damage to blank margin of last few leaves, folding map browned with small tears along creases, overall a good copy of a fragile item. $25
388. KIMBALL, Justin F. Our City–Dallas: A Community Civics. Dallas: Kessler Plan Association of Dallas, 1927. viii,  384 pp., frontispiece portrait on half title verso (included in pagination), maps, illustrations, folding map affixed to rear pastedown. 8vo, original red pictorial cloth. Binding shelf worn, spine light and a bit spotted, front free endpaper absent, hinges and text block cracked (but holding), overall good condition.
First edition. CBC 1266. TC 512. $35
389. LESLIE, Warren. Dallas Public and Private: Aspects of an American City. New York: Grossman Publishers, 1964.  238  pp. 8vo, original tan cloth, top edge dyed black. Edges foxed, occasional foxing to interior, especially near beginning and end of book, overall very good in lightly worn d.j. Signed by author on half-title
First edition, first printing. $10
390. LESLIE, Warren. Dallas Public and Private.... New York: Grossman Publishers, 1964.  238  pp. 8vo, original tan cloth, top edge dyed black. Edges lightly foxed, otherwise fine in lightly worn d.j.
First edition, second printing. CBC 1271. $5
391. LEWIS PUBLISHING COMPANY. Memorial and Biographical History of Dallas County, Texas. Illustrated.... Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company, 1892. 1011 pp., 70 plates, decorative initials, text decorations. 4to, original embossed and gilt-lettered dark brown sheep with beveled edges and gilt decorations on spine and turn-ins, a.e.g. Sheep rubbed and peeling with boards exposed at tips, upper hinge cracked (but holding), overall very good condition, internally clean.
First edition. CBC 1276. $1,400
392. ROGERS, John William. The Lusty Texans of Dallas. New York: E.P. Dutton, 1951. 384 pp., frontispiece portrait of Mrs. Henry Exall, endpaper maps. 8vo, original blue cloth gilt. Edges foxed, endpapers and title page browned, otherwise near fine in d.j. (lightly worn, spine sunned).
First edition. CBC 1284. Guns 1889: “Republished twice since the original edition.... Most of his characters are not all that lusty, but he does give some information on Sam Bass, Frank and Jesse James, and Belle Starr, largely confined to their activities in Dallas.” TC 507. $10
393. SANTERRE, George. Dallas’ First Hundred Years, 1856-1956 [wrapper title]. Dallas: Book Craft, 1956.  pp., illustrations, ads. 8vo, original blue pictorial wrappers, stapled. Fine.
First edition. CBC 1288. Guns 1943: “Has the usual material on Sam Bass and Belle Starr in Dallas.” $50
394. SANTERRE, George H. White Cliffs of Dallas: The Story of La Reunion, the Old French Colony. Dallas: Book Craft, 1955. , map, 8 plates. 8vo, original red cloth gilt. One corner of upper cover water-stained, gilt dull, otherwise very good in browned and lightly worn d.j. with a few small spots and stains. Signed by author on front free endpaper.
First edition, “Centennial Edition.” CBC 1289. $150
395. STILLWELL, Norma. Key and Guide to Native Trees, Shrubs, and Woody Trees of Dallas County. Dallas: Boyd Printing, 1939. 48 pp., illustrations. 8vo, original green pictorial wrappers, stapled. A little foxing to wraps and edges, staples slightly rusty, otherwise fine.
Not in CBC. $35
396. TRENT, Lucy C. John Neely Bryan: Founder of Dallas. Dallas: Tardy Publishing, 1936.  80 pp., frontispiece, 1 plate, text illustrations. 8vo, original maroon pebbled cloth gilt. Binding slightly shelf-worn, edges of boards bumped, endpapers and text lightly browned, otherwise near fine in d.j. (lightly rubbed, spine water stained.).
Not in CBC. $40
397. TRENT, Lucy C. John Neely Bryan: Founder of Dallas. Dallas: Tardy Publishing, 1936. Another copy, variant binding. 8vo, original maroon textured cloth gilt. Binding lightly rubbed with boards exposed at tips and a few small white marks, ink stamp of the Library of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas on front pastedown, otherwise very good. $40
398. WALKER, Stanley. The Dallas Story [wrapper title]. Dallas: Dallas Times Herald, n.d. 39  pp., illustrations. 4to, original white and blue pictorial wrappers, stapled. Wraps slightly foxed, otherwise fine.
Reprinted from the Dallas Centennial Edition of The Dallas Times Herald, Feb 5, 1956. TC 486. $15
399. WIDENER, Ralph W. William Henry Gaston: A Builder of Dallas. Dallas: Historical Publishing, 1977. x, 50 pp., frontispiece portrait on half-title verso, illustrations. 8vo, original orange cloth gilt. A little excess adhesive on binding, otherwise fine in lightly worn d.j. with a few short tears.
First edition. TC 524. $10
400. WELCH HISTORICAL SOCIETY. Welch: The History of a Dawson County Community, 1900-1970. Hereford: Pioneer Book Publishers, 1970. vi, 145 [1, blank] pp., map, illustrations (mostly photographic). 4to, original red pictorial cloth. Slight shelf wear and a little foxing to binding, foxing to edges and text (mostly confined to blank margins), text lightly browned, otherwise very good.
First edition. $50
DSRB Home | e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright Dorothy Sloan 2011