Copyright 2000- by Dorothy Sloan-Rare Books Inc. for all materials on this site. All rights reserved, including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form.
Texas County and Local History
The items in this catalogue have been sold. This catalogue was issued in 2011, and is presented in full on our website as a courtesy to users and for reference purposes.
501. LOTTO, F. Fayette County, Her History and Her People. Schulenberg, Texas, 1902. Another copy, wrappers issue. 8vo, original green printed wrappers. Wraps lightly worn, a little foxing and spotting to edges, first and last leaves foxed, otherwise very good. $200
502. LOTTO, F. Fayette County, Her History and Her People. Schulenberg, Texas, 1902. Another copy, variant wrappers. 8vo, original tan printed wrappers. Wraps lightly worn and foxed with chips and splits to extremities of spine, upper wrap and first few leaves creased, edges and first and last few leaves with light foxing, otherwise good. $150
503. POLK, Mary. I Remember.... N.p., n.d. 89 [1, blank] pp., map, facsimile, photographic illustrations. 8vo, original cream pictorial wrappers, stapled. Wraps browned, former owner’s ink stamp on upper wrap, tiny stain on lower wrap, “NOV 1971” stamped in red ink on title page, overall very good. $25
504. ROBERTS, H.H. Brief Notes on the Geologic Formations of Fayette County and on the Evidence of the Presence of Oil and Gas, with Map of Part of the Gulf Coastal Plain Texas [wrapper title]. San Antonio, 1927.  pp., map. Square 8vo, original red printed wrappers, stapled. Wraps and text lightly creased and a bit rumpled in appearance, author’s name written in ink on upper wrap, otherwise very good.
Not in CBC. $35
505. TEXAS HISTORICAL RECORDS SURVEY. Inventory of the County Archives of Texas. No. 75. Fayette County (Lagrange). Fayette County, Texas, 1940.  167 [1, blank] pp., map, plans of courthouse, chart of governmental organization. 4to, original blue printed wrappers with black cloth backstrip. Fine aside from a little foxing to edges.
First edition. CBC 1679. $15
506. WADE, Houston. David Wade: A Texas Pioneer. La Grange: La Grange Journal, 1943.  33 [1, blank] pp., photographic portrait. 8vo, original cream printed wrappers, stapled. Fine other than a few tiny fox-marks to wraps and slight wear to wraps and text.
First edition. Not in CBC. David Wade (b. 1779 Virginia-1861) came to Texas from Kentucky in 1833 and settled permanently at San Felipe in present Fayette County and engaged in the transportation business. $35
507. WADE, Houston. The Dawson Men of Fayette County [wrapper title]. Houston, 1932. 85 [1, blank] pp. 8vo, black cloth gilt over original white printed wrappers. Binding lightly shelf-worn, bottom corners and right edge bumped, edges foxed, endpapers browned and foxed, damp stain and foxing to upper wrap and first few leaves, overall good condition. Signed by author on typed dedication to J.C. Ingram, president Harris County Historical Society, tipped onto p. , and Ingram’s ink ownership inscription on front free endpaper. Name “Norman Miles Wells” written in ink at bottom of p. .
First edition. CBC 1700. TC 664. Documentation of the 1842 Dawson Massacre and the men who fought in the engagement against Woll’s reinvasion of Texas. See Handbook of Texas Online: Dawson Massacre. $40
508. WADE, Houston. The Dawson Men of Fayette County [wrapper title]. Houston, 1932. Another copy, not signed. 8vo, original white printed wrappers. A little foxing and light browning to wraps, otherwise fine. $40
509. WADE, Houston (compiler). Thumb Nail History of Fayette County. La Grange: Chamber of Commerce, 1941.  pp., photographic illustrations. Folio, one folded sheet of newsprint, unbound. Paper browned, creased where formerly folded embossed stamp of the Sons of the Republic of Texas on p. , otherwise fine. Signed by compiler on upper left margin of p. .
Cf. CBC 1701. $15
510. WEYAND, Leonie Rummel & Houston Wade. An Early History of Fayette County. LaGrange: LaGrange Journal, 1936.  383 [1, blank] pp., 1 plate. 8vo, original green buckram gilt. Upper margin of front cover sunned, endpapers browned, otherwise fine. Co-author Houston Wade’s signed presentation inscription to J. Frank Dobie on front free endpaper.
First edition, author’s special cloth-bound issue. CBC 1704. TC 665. TLH, p. 27 (referring to 1977 reprint). Excellent source on early Anglo Texas and the Republic era, Fayette County being one of Austin’s original colonies. The men of Fayette fought in every major military expedition of the era. $200
511. WEYAND, Leonie Rummel & Houston Wade. An Early History of Fayette County. LaGrange: LaGrange Journal, 1936. Another copy, variant binding. 8vo, original dark green cloth. Binding lightly shelf-worn, corners bumped, endpapers browned, otherwise near fine. Co-author Houston Wade’s signed presentation inscription to M.H. Dowell, dated July 1, 1936, on front free endpaper. $200
512. WEYAND, Leonie Rummel & Houston Wade. An Early History of Fayette County. LaGrange: LaGrange Journal, 1936. Another copy, wrappers issue. 8vo, original white printed wrappers. Fragile wraps browned and lightly worn with small chip at base of spine, otherwise near fine. $125
513. BAIRD, Delila M. and Josie M. Baird. Early Fisher County Families: Biographical History, 1876-1910. Rotan: Published by the authors, 1976. vii [1, blank], 277 [1, blank] pp., photographic illustrations. 4to, original off-white cloth gilt. Light shelf-wear, bottom corners bumped, otherwise fine.
Limited edition (copy #371 of unstated number). TC 684. $75
514. [MAP]. TEXAS. GENERAL LAND OFFICE. Fisher Co [left below title] I, W.C. Walsh, Commissioner of the General Land Office, State of Texas, do hereby certify that this is a true and correct Copy of the Original Map now in use in this Office, Compiled from official data. [facsimile signature] W.C. Walsh, Commissioner. [below title at right] Copyright 1880 W.C. Walsh Commissioner of the General Land Office of the State of Texas. [bottom center] Lithographed By A. Gast & Co’s New Process St. Louis. St. Louis: Gast, 1880. Uncolored lithograph map mounted on poster board, overall sheet size: 57.4 x 45.2 cm. Map browned, with a few tears, chips, small stains, and scattered insect damage. $400
515. HALL, Claude V. The Early History of Floyd County. Canyon: Panhandle-Plains Historical Society, 1947. 147 [1, blank] pp. 8vo, original dark blue pictorial cloth. Slight shelf wear to extremities, a little shelf-slanted, otherwise near fine.
First edition. CBC 1723. Herd 972: “First issued as Volume XX of the Panhandle-Plains Historical Association’s Review. Some volumes were bound in cloth in book form.” TC 688. TLH, p. 27. $100
516. PHELPS, Bailey. They Loved the Land: Foard County History. Quanah: Quanah Tribune-Chief and Foard County Historical Survey Committee, 1969.  106  pp., many illustrations (mostly photographic). 4to, original brown pictorial cloth. Fine.
First edition. TC 692. TLH, p. 28 (shows imprint as Burnet, Texas, 1969). $100
Fort Bend County
517. FORT BEND COUNTY SESQUICENTENNIAL ASSOCIATION. Fort Bend County Sesquicentennial, 1822-1972. Richmond, Texas, 1972. 72 pp., photographic illustrations, facsimiles. 4to, original tan pictorial wrappers, stapled. Light wear to fragile wraps, otherwise very good. Folding sesquicentennial program and publishers’ ad from Fort Bend County Museum Association laid in.
First edition. TC 695. TLH, P. 28. $30
518. McMILLAN, S.A. (compiler). The Book of Fort Bend County, Texas.... N.p., 1926. vi, 264 pp., folding map, ads. 8vo, original pink pictorial wrappers. Wraps foxed and lightly worn, a few small chips to spine, overall very good.
First edition. CBC 1742. TC 693. $65
519. WHARTON, Clarence R[ay]. Wharton’s History of Fort Bend County. San Antonio: Naylor, 1939. xi [1, blank], 250 pp., frontispiece portrait, 2 maps (1 folding), 38 plates. 8vo, original blue cloth, top edge dyed blue. Binding lightly shelf-worn and foxed, light foxing to endpapers and adjacent to plates, upper hinge cracked (but holding), otherwise very good in chipped, rubbed, and browned price-clipped d.j.
First edition. CBC 1748. Guns 2374: “Scarce.... Contains an account of the Jaybird-Woodpecker feud and other lawlessness.” TC 701. $125
520. WHARTON, Clarence R. Wharton’s History of Fort Bend County. Houston: Anson Jones Press, 1950.  250 pp., 2 maps, facsimile, endpapers with photographic portraits and map. 8vo, original grey cloth. Blank margin of pp. 97-98 wormed (not affecting text), otherwise near fine.
Reprint edition of preceding item. CBC 1748a. $85
521. [MAP]. TEXAS. GENERAL LAND OFFICE. Map of Franklin County. [below map] Copyright 1879. Wm C Walsh, Comm Gen Land Office, State of Texas [bottom left] Lithographed by August Gast & CoS New Process. St. Louis [bottom right] I, Wm C Walsh, Commissioner of General Land Office State of Texas, certify this to be a true and correct copy of the map now in use in this office and compiled from official data. Austin December, 1879 [facsimile signature] W.C. Walsh. St. Louis: Gast, 1879. Uncolored lithograph map mounted on poster board, overall sheet size: 55.8 x 25 cm. Map browned, likely trimmed, includes contemporary hand-written label “Franklin” in lower right of margin. $350
522. TEXAS STATEWIDE RECORDS PROJECT. Index to Probate Cases of Texas. No. 80. Franklin County, August 20, 1875-August 2, 1939. San Antonio, State-wide Records Project, 1940.  pp, 26 folios, map. 4to, original blue printed wrappers with black cloth backstrip. Fine.
First edition. CBC 1752. TC 702 (referring to recent reprint) $15
523. FRIO COUNTY JAIL MUSEUM ASSOCIATION. Frio County, Texas: A History. Dallas: Taylor Publishing, 1979. 152 pp., photographic illustrations, color photographic endpapers. 4to, original brown leatherette cloth gilt. Corners lightly bumped, otherwise fine. $40
524. JONES, J. Otis, Mrs. Ora C. Littleton, Mrs. T.E. Terry & Mrs. J.E. Fargason. Historical Sketch of Moore, Texas [wrapper title]. N.p., 1971. 127  pp., photographic illustrations. 4to, original white printed wrappers with black cloth backstrip. Near fine.
TC 710. $30
525. ROBERTS, Mrs. W.A. A Brief History of Frio County [caption title]. N.p., n.d. 5 mimeographed sheets of thin letter-sized paper, printed on rectos only. Stains from paper clip in upper left corner, sheets uniformly age-toned, otherwise near fine.
Cf. CBC 1781, TC 706. $15
DSRB Home | e-mail: email@example.com
Copyright Dorothy Sloan 2011