Copyright 2000- by Dorothy Sloan-Rare Books Inc. for all materials on this site. All rights reserved, including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form.
Texas County and Local History
The items in this catalogue have been sold. This catalogue was issued in 2011, and is presented in full on our website as a courtesy to users and for reference purposes.
526. GAINES COUNTY HISTORICAL SURVEY COMMITTEE (compilers). The Gaines County Story: A History of Gaines County, Texas. Seagraves: Pioneer Book Publishers, 1974. viii, 536 pp., maps, brands, drawn and photographic illustrations. 4to, original red pictorial cloth gilt. Binding lightly rubbed, spine light, gilt dull, text browned, otherwise very good.
First edition. TC 711. TLH, p. 29. $35
527. CAMPBELL, Collier A. & Susie L. Moncla. Texas City: Images of the Twentieth Century. Virginia Beach: The Donning Company, 1999. 160 pp., many color and black & white photographic illustrations. 4to, original navy blue pictorial cloth gilt. Fine in d.j. (creased and lightly rubbed) $10
528. CLARKE & COURTS (publisher). The Texas: A Southern-Built Battleship [wrapper title]. Galveston, n.d.  pp., illustrations. Oblong 16mo, original white pictorial wrappers, stapled. Light foxing, darkening, and wear to wraps, pamphlet creased where formerly folded, overall very good.
Complimentary souvenir pamphlet issued by Clarke & Courts, manufacturing stationers, Galveston. $25
529. COULTER, John (editor). The Complete Story of the Galveston Horror.... N.p.: United Publishers of America, 1900.  386 pp., frontispiece, 46 plates (included in pagination). 8vo, original brown cloth gilt with tipped-on halftone illustration. Binding rubbed and a bit soiled and spotted, corners bumped, upper hinge cracked (but holding), text block cracked in a few places (but holding), text browned, occasional foxing to plates.
Not in CBC. Many photographic and drawn illustrations of the 1900 hurricane and its aftermath. $25
530. DYER, Joseph O. The Early History of Galveston...Centenary Edition, Part I [wrapper title]. Galveston: Oscar Springer Print, 1916.  30 pp. 8vo, original grey printed wrappers, stapled. Fine.
First edition. CBC 1807. Rader 1251. $75
531. E.S. LEVY & CO. (publisher). Galveston, Treasure Island of the Southwest Map. [Galveston], n.d. Folding pamphlet with maps and illustrations. Folded: 17.1 x 8.5 cm; Open: 34.2 x 34 cm. Fine.
Small promotional map and guide to Galveston, distributed by E.S. Levy, “Galveston’s oldest apparel store.” $5
532. FIRE PREVENTION AND ENGINEERING BUREAU OF TEXAS & THE NATIONAL BOARD OF FIRE UNDERWRITERS. Texas City, Texas, Disaster, April 16, 17, 1947 [wrapper title]. Dallas & New York, n.d. 44 pp., 3 maps, photographic illustrations, many full-page. 4to, original white pictorial wrappers, stapled. Wraps lightly rubbed and soiled, otherwise near fine.
Not in CBC. Report on the 1947 disaster which began with the explosion of the S.S. Grandcamp, loaded with ammonium nitrate fertilizer, and ultimately resulted in 576 known dead and 178 missing. Includes extensive photographic documentation of the disaster and its aftermath, reports on casualties and damage, and maps of the affected area. See Handbook of Texas Online: Texas City Disaster. $20
533. FORNELL, Earl Wesley. The Galveston Era: The Texas Crescent on the Eve of Secession. Austin: University of Texas Press, 1962. xiv, 355 [1, blank], woodcut illustrations and endpapers by Lowell Collins. 8vo, original green pictorial cloth. Fine aside from a little foxing to edges, in lightly rubbed and soiled price-clipped d.j.
First edition, second printing. CBC 1810. TC 722 (referring to second printing). TLH, p. 29 (referring to 1976 printing). $30
534. FRANKLIN, Robert M. Battle of Galveston, January 1st, 1863. N.p., n.d. 12 photocopied letter-sized sheets, stapled in upper left corner. Fine.
Photocopied facsimile of undated small stapled volume. Not in CBC. Note on verso of last sheet in pencil: “From Fred White, Jr., 16 June ‘68.” $10
535. Galveston, the Sea Wall City [wrapper title]. Galveston: Gust. Feist Co.; Brooklyn: The Albertype Co., 1906.  folios with photogravures tipped onto rectos, including folding panorama of Galveston. Oblong 8vo, original grey printed wrappers with oval gravure print tipped onto upper wrap, string tie. Fragile wraps moderately worn and chipped, cover lettering rubbed, insect damage to gravure on cover and blank margins of image on f.  (not affecting image). Book is in overall good condition, images mostly fine.
Not in CBC. $250
536. GALVESTON HISTORICAL SOCIETY. Historic Galveston Homes [wrapper title]. Galveston: Galveston Historical Society, 1951. 48 pp., photographic illustrations. 12mo, original cream pictorial wrappers, stapled. Very fine.
First edition. CBC 1824. $10
537. GREEN, Nathan C. (editor). “Story of the Galveston Flood.” Complete, Graphic, Authentic. Baltimore: R.H. Woodward, 1900. iv [1, blank] 366 pp., frontispiece portrait, map, 28 plates. 8vo, original green pictorial cloth gilt. Binding shelf-worn, gilt dull, upper hinge and text block cracked in multiple places (but holding), overall good.
First edition. Not in CBC. $25
538. HALSTEAD, Murat. Galveston: The Horrors of a Stricken City.... N.p.: American Publishers’ Association, 1900.  xi  33-363  pp., frontispiece, map, 46 plates, facsimiles. 8vo, original half black sheep over brown cloth gilt, edges marbled. Spine rubbed with large chips at extremities, binding shelf-worn and foxed, ink ownership inscription on front free endpaper, text browned, overall good condition.
First edition, publisher’s deluxe “half morocco” binding. Not in CBC. Rader 1751. TC 719. $20
539. HALSTEAD, Murat. Galveston: The Horrors of a Stricken City.... N.p.: American Publishers’ Association, 1900. Another copy, cloth binding. 8vo, original red pictorial cloth gilt. Spine light and spotted, binding shelf-worn, with moderate insect damage, gilt dull, text browned, plates foxed, overall fair condition only. $10
540. HALSTEAD, Murat. Galveston: The Horrors of a Stricken City.... N.p.: American Publishers’ Association, 1900.  7-13, 15-22, 61-63, 101-113, 124-127, 141-145, 301-303, 321-323, 331-334, 401-411  pp., 32 plates, ads, 8 pages of lined ledger sheets inserted after text with six orders recorded in pencil. 8vo, original red pictorial cloth gilt. Fair condition only: Binding rubbed and stained, spine light, hinges cracked (but holding), child’s scribbles in pencil and crayon to endpapers and a few plates, text browned, final ledger sheet torn.
Salesman’s dummy of preceding item, with orders for six customers in Tennessee recorded in pencil. Includes advertisement for deluxe “Half Morocco Style” binding (see item #538 in this catalogue). $40
541. HAYES, Charles W. Galveston: History of the Island and the City. Austin: Jenkins Garrett Press, 1974.  xiii [1, blank] 548 +  549-1044 pp., frontispiece portrait, title pages with tipped on gilt brown paper labels. 2 vols., 8vo, original cream linen with gilt paper labels on upper covers. Gilt on cover labels rubbed, a few faint, scattered fox-marks to bindings, otherwise fine in publisher’s brown board slipcase with gilt paper label (lightly shelf-worn and sunned).
Facsimile edition of the one existing set of page proofs of Hayes’ 1879 history of Galveston, never published due to a fire at the Cincinnati printing plant which destroyed the plates. BTB 88. TC 716. Includes preface by Larry J. Wygant, Archivist, Rosenberg Library, Galveston, and publisher’s notes by Jenkins Garrett, Jr. $675
542. LESTER, Paul. The Great Galveston Disaster, Containing a Full and Thrilling Account of the Most Appalling Calamity of Modern Times.... N.p., 1900. 516 pp., frontispiece, 52 plates. 8vo, original maroon cloth gilt and decorated in blind. Binding rubbed and soiled, gilt dull, hinges cracked (but holding), contemporary gift inscription on front free endpaper, endpapers cracked and brittle, text and plates browned, overall good condition.
Not in CBC. TC 728. $20
543. LEWIS, Carroll. The Treasures of Galveston Bay: The First Complete Collection of the Facts and Legends of Every Buried Treasure Known to be in the Galveston Bay Area. Waco: Texian Press, 1966. xiii  59 pp., maps. 8vo, original brown cloth decorated in silver. Fine in d.j. (spine sunned, a few fox-marks).
TC 736 (referring to 1977 revised edition). $35
544. MASON, Herbert Molloy, Jr. Death from the Sea: Our Greatest Natural Disaster, the Galveston Hurricane of 1900. New York: Dial Press, 1972.  260 pp., illustrations (mostly photographic). 8vo, original tan cloth. Fine in lightly worn and soiled d.j.
First edition. TC 713. $25
545. McGINNIS, Edith B. The Promised Land: A Narrative Featuring the Life History and Adventures of Frank J. Brown, Pioneer, Buffalo Hunter, Indian Fighter, and Founder of the Quaker Settlement of Friendswood. Boerne: Toepperwein Publishing, 1947. 160 pp. 8vo, original grey cloth. Ex-library, with Boerne Public Library ink stamp on front pastedown and number in white ink on spine. Light insect damage to binding and front hinge, endpapers browned, a little light foxing to first few leaves, overall good condition. Signed by author on title page.
First edition. Not in CBC. Guns 1405: “Contains previously unpublished information on Bat Masterson.” $45
546. MILLER, Ray. Ray Miller’s Galveston. Austin: Capital Printing, 1983. xvii [1, blank], 249  pp., numerous photographic illustrations (some in color). 8vo, original grey cloth. Fine aside from a little foxing to upper cover, in rubbed d.j.
First edition. $20
547. NATHAN, Anne & Harry I. Cohen. The Man who Stayed in Texas: The Life of Rabbi Henry Cohen. New York and London: Whittlesey House, 1941. x, 322 pp., frontispiece portrait. 8vo, original salmon cloth. Very good aside from slight insect damage to binding, in lightly worn and browned price-clipped d.j. with a little insect damage to flaps, spine sunned.
First edition. Not in CBC. $25
548. OUSLEY, Clarence (editor). Galveston in Nineteen Hundred: The Authorized and Official Record of the Proud City of the Southwest as it Was Before and After the Hurricane of September 8, and a Logical Forecast of its Future. Atlanta: William C. Chase, 1900. 346  pp., frontispiece portrait, map, photographic illustrations, ads. 8vo, original maroon pictorial cloth gilt, t.e.g. Binding moderately rubbed, a few spots to edges, upper hinge cracked (but holding), overall good.
First edition. Not in CBC. $85
549. [POST CARD] Hotel Galvez, Galveston, Texas [at lower left of recto]. N.p., n.d. (ca. 1920). Real photo post card, 8.8 x 25 cm. Fine.
Attractive view of the Hotel Galvez, built in 1911. $15
550. RIGGS, Mary S. The Winnes of Galveston. Dallas: Story Book Press, 1944.  pp., photographic illustrations. 12mo, original tan wrappers, stapled. Very good.
Not in CBC. $20
DSRB Home | e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright Dorothy Sloan 2011