Copyright 2000- by Dorothy Sloan-Rare Books Inc. for all materials on this site. All rights reserved, including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form.
Texas County and Local History
The items in this catalogue have been sold. This catalogue was issued in 2011, and is presented in full on our website as a courtesy to users and for reference purposes.
876. SPILLER, Wayne. Handbook of McCulloch County History, Volume 1. Seagraves: Pioneer Book, 1976. x, 618 pp., photographic illustrations, charts, map. 4to, original buff cloth, black-lettered spine and upper cover. Binding rubbed and spotted, fore-edges foxed, else fine.
First edition. TC 1207. TLH, p. 51. $150
877. THE BRADY STANDARD (comp.). Brady: Prosperity’s Playground. The Heart of Texas. Brady: The Brady Standard, n.d.  pp., text and photographic illustrations. Oblong 8vo, original white pictorial upper cover, stapled. Upper wrap rubbed and creased, missing small piece (not affecting text), text browned and creased, small tears to some pages. Good. $30
878. APPERSON, Henry Milton. A History of West, Texas, 1836-1920: Conflict of Conservative Cultures. Waco: Texian Press, 1969. vi, 71 [1, blank] pp., frontispiece map, 12 plates (mostly photographic), facsimile. 8vo, original brown cloth. Very fine in lightly worn d.j.
First edition. $25
879. BARNES, Lavonia Jenkins. Old Homes of Waco and the People Who Lived in Them. Waco: Heritage Society of Waco, 1955.  pp., photographic illustrations. 8vo, original buff pictorial cloth. Binding soiled, minor foxing to endpapers and fore-edges, very good.
CBC 3106. TC 1221. $15
880. BARNES, Lavonia Jenkins. Early Homes of Waco and The People Who Lived in Them. Waco: Texian Press, 1970. xvi, 229 [1, blank] pp., color frontispiece, photographic illustrations. 4to, original brick red cloth decorated in gilt. Minor rubbing to binding, slight foxing to endpapers, else very in lightly worn pictorial d.j.
First edition. TC 1209. TLH, p.52. $15
881. BOYNTON, Luella Conger (comp.). St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, Waco, Texas, 1863-1963: A Hundred Years’ Witness. N.p., (ca. 1963). 44 pp., photographic illustrations. 4to, original white wrappers with photographic illustration. Wrappers rubbed, endpapers and fore-edges mildly foxed, else fine. $25
882. CENTENNIAL HISTORY COMMITTEE. A Century of Fraternity: Waco Lodge No. 92, A.F. & A.M., Waco, Texas, 1852-1952. Waco, 1952. xvi, 192 pp., photographic and text illustrations, charts. 8vo, original green pictorial cloth stamped in gilt and blind. Corners and spine rubbed, endpapers foxed, else fine. Inscribed by editor Roger N. Conger. $20
883. CENTRAL TEXAS GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY (comp.). McLennan County, Texas, Cemetery Records, Volume I. Waco: Central Texas Genealogical Society, 1965. iv, 228 pp. 4to, original green cloth with gilt-lettered spine. Mild rubbing to binding, endpapers foxed, else fine.
TLH, p. 52. $20
884. CONGER, Roger N. The First Presbyterian Church of Waco, Texas: A Memorial History, 1855-1955. [Waco, 1955].  pp., numerous photographic illustrations. 8vo, original light blue printed wrappers, stapled. Wrappers discolored at staple locations, fore-edges foxed, fine.
CBC 3119. $30
885. CONGER, Roger N. Highlights of Waco History. Waco: Hill Printing & Stationary, 1945. 95 [1, blank] pp., photographic and text illustrations, deckled fore-edge. 8vo, original orange printed wrappers. Wrapper smudged and sunned, text browned, else very good. Inscribed by author to Dudley Dobie.
First edition. CBC 3120. TC 1213. $65
886. CONGER, Roger N. Highlights of Waco History. Waco: Hill Printing & Stationary, 1945. Another copy, unsigned. Wrapper chipped and torn, else good. $50
887. DAWSON, Joseph Martin. Brooks Takes the Long Look. Waco: Baylor University Press, 1931. xvi, 56 pp., frontispiece portrait. 12mo, original black cloth with gilt-lettered spine. Covers rubbed and gently warped, text browned and lightly foxed, else very good.
First edition. $25
888. EPISCOPAL CHURCH OF THE HOLY SPIRIT. Introducing the Episcopal Church of the Holy Spirit, Waco, Texas. N.p, (ca. 1964).  folios, with laid in program for Dioceses of Malawi-Texas. 4to, original blue printed cover sheet, stapled. Cover smudged, text brown, very good. $25
889. HARRISON, Guy Bryan, Jr. The Texas Collection of Baylor University. Waco: Baylor University Press, 1940. x  75 [1, blank] pp., photographic illustrations. 8vo, original blue printed wrappers. Near fine.
The Baylor Bulletin 44:4, Dec. 1940. $20
890. KELLEY, Dayton. The Handbook of Waco and McLennan County, Texas. Waco: Texian Press, 1972.  307  pp. 4to, original cream cloth with brown-lettered spine. Binding lightly bumped, fore-edges mildly browned, else fine in sunned and rubbed pictorial d.j.
First edition. TC 1212. TLH, p. 52 $25
891. SLEEPER, William M. & Allan D. Sanford. Waco Bar and Incidents of Waco History. Waco: Hill Printing & Stationery, . 235 [1, blank] pp., photographic illustrations. 8vo, original grey printed wrappers. Wrappers sunned and smudged, fore-edges foxed. Fine.
First edition. CBC 3153. $75
892. MCMULLEN COUNTY HISTORICAL SURVEY COMMITTEE (comp.). Stringfield Massacre: Thomas and Sarah Stringfield Killed by Indians, Sept. 28, 1870 [wrapper title]. N.p.: McMullen County Historical Survey Committee, 1970.  pp., portrait of Thomas W. Stringfield. 8vo, original blue wrappers, stapled. Wrappers discolored, else very fine.
With two items: (1) newspaper clipping (Pleasanton Express, June 3, 1970) announcing the erection of historical marker; and (2) mimeographed Moses W. Hindes pamphlet. $50
893. LAWLER, Ruth Curry. The Story of Castroville. N.p., n.d. 20 pp., photographic illustrations. 12mo, original white wrappers with photographic illustrations, stapled. Wrappers foxed, else very fine. Signed by author.
Cf. CBC 3260. TLH, p. 54. $25
894. LAWLER, Ruth Curry. The Story of Castroville: Its People, Founder and Traditions. N.p., 1968. 96 pp., photographic illustrations. 12mo, original glossy white wrappers with photographic illustrations. Wrappers foxed, endpapers and title page foxed, else fine. Signed by author.
Cf. TC 1277. $25
895. McMEANS, Lula Lee (ed.). Historical Sketches Concerning LaCoste, Macdona, Idlewilde, Rio Medina, and Castroville. LaCoste: LaCoste Ledger, 1946. 32 pp. 12mo, original red printed wrappers. Wrappers sunned, light foxing. Offsetting of laid in flyer for Centennial Festival. Fine.
CBC 3265. Sketches written by members of the Junior Class at LaCoste High School. $30
896. Peachtree Village Hall, Dedicated by John Henry Kirby as a Memorial to the Memory of His Father and Mother. Houston: Rein & Sons, 1914. 73 [3, blank] pp., photographic illustrations. Oblong 8vo, original blue cloth gilt. Binding bumped and rubbed, minor smudges to lower cover, endpapers and margins foxed, few signatures loose. Very good. $40
897. SAATHOFF, W.A. Medina County Public Schools, 1923-24 [wrapper title]. Medina County Department of Education, n.d. (ca. 1923). 80pp., photographic illustrations, advertisements. 8vo, original grey printed wrappers. Wrappers foxed and smudged, upper wrapper with ink ownership marks, insect damage to fore-edges, fore-edges and margins foxed. Very good.
Not in CBC. Rare historical survey of the schools of Medina County. $30
898. WAUGH, Julia Nott. Castro-ville and Henry Castro, Empresario. San Antonio: Standard Printing, 1934.  97  pp., frontispiece portrait, 2 plates, chart. 8vo, original grey printed wrappers. Wrappers lightly sunned, fore-edges browned, else fine.
First edition. CBC 3272. History of the French empresario who established Castroville in 1844. Rader 3591. TC 1269. $35
899. BIERSCHWALE, Margaret. Fort McKavett, Texas: Post on the San Saba. Salado: Anson Jones Press, 1966. 134 pp., frontispiece of Ranald Slidell Mackenzie, photographic illustrations, facsimiles, maps, endpaper maps, text illustrations by author. 4to, original pictorial cloth. Unopened. Very fine. Tipped in leaf with author’s signature.
First edition. TC 1280. TLH, p. 54. $150
900. DUNN, William Edward. “Missionary Activities Among the Eastern Apaches Previous to the Founding of the San Saba Mission” from The Southwestern Historical Quarterly 15:3, 1912. Pp. 186-200. 8vo, original tan printed wrappers. Wrappers lightly chipped, else fine. Unopened.
DSRB Home | e-mail: email@example.com
Copyright Dorothy Sloan 2011